General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

tailgate window stuck in mid-position 2003 4runner

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2020, 04:51 PM
Default tailgate window stuck in mid-position 2003 4runner

I have a 2003 4runner that has the tailgatewindow stuck. I had opened the tailgate assembly to successfully replace the tailgate latch, which had rusted and wasn't operating, The rear window had been operating with difficulty so I decided to fix it while I had access to all of the things in the tailgate. I pushed the down button and the rear window went partway down with lots of groaning and resistance. I tried to get it to go back up, and it tried (the motor engages and moves about a quarter inch), but that is as far as it will go. It is now stuck about halfway and won't go up or down any further, though the motor is activating and trying. I figured it was probably rust and dirt, such as had caused the tailgate latch to fail, so I have applied lubricant (WD40 and Liquid Wrench) to the cables and tracks for the window, but it still won't budge. I have tried helping the motor by manually pulling up and down on the window while using the windowmotor but this is also unsuccessful. Does anyone have suggestions on how to proceed? I'm reluctant to try removing the windowmotor to work on it since I can't find anything online on how to disconnect it from the cables connected to the window. Thank you.