General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Towing Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2006, 04:48 PM
Default Towing Question

Hi All!

We have an '06 V8 4Runner Limited, and plan to tow approx. 5,200# of travel trailer in retirement [coming soon ]. I asked one Toyota dealer if we should get aftermarket oil and trans. coolers (and trans temp. guage)--they said "no need." Our local Toyota dealer says we should get all three, but has no idea who makes them, or where to get them.

Can any of you folks give us some direction re: manufacturers and/or installers of both coolers and the guage? We would feel better having these installed, but can't seem to get any information for a 4Runner in the relatively small and remote town we live in (Eureka, CA).

Thanks!

Matt

Old 06-19-2006, 12:33 AM
Default RE: Towing Question

Hey Matt, My name is Dave and I have been a transmission mechanic for 15 years, my daddy owned the shop and his daddy owned the shop before him. I don't know what aftermarket parts dealers you have out there and I don't know about the aftermarket oil cooler but I do know about the trans cooler and gauge. We can get trans coolers at most any parts house here, Pep Boys, Advance, Napa, Carquest but the Advance carries the same product as my transmission supply house. The company we buy all our coolers from is Whatever it Takes Transmission Parts Inc. The number to their office I use is 1-800-940-0197 I think that they will sell to individuals but you may have to get a local shop to get it. If you are going to pay to have it put on then that shop could order it. Just ask for the medium size cooler for your vehicle. It is a fairly simple installation but if you are not comfortable with working on your transmission cooling system it is good to pay for peace of mind. Any REPUTABLE shop should be able to install the trans cooler in an hour or two. I put coolers on for $50 labor no matter the vehicle but I don't price competitively. I would imagine that to be cheap in your market but you never know you may get it done for $40. As for the gauge, you really don't need to worry about that, it will just add one more distraction to what should be a pleasant experience. Also the transmission oil flows inside the radiator so if one overheats they usually both do, just watch your water temp. If you are overly concerned about transmission heat, a product is available from a company I think called Life Automotive that are magnetic temp strips that you stick on the trans pan, they record the highest temp reached by the trans but I don't think they are re- useable. What I mean is the temp marker on the strip can climb but not recede.

Hope I was able to help. Just don't tow that trailer up long hills in overdrive, and cancel overdrive when starting from a stop until you get to comfortable cruising speed. This will save some wear and tear on what is the most commonly failed clutch set in towing vehicles. I realize a lot of people tow trailers and boats frequently with their rigs and don't run trans coolers but I was taught a long time ago that high temperatures are the number one enemy of transmission components. I run them on everything I drive even on a chevy truck with the factory towing package that already includes extra trans cooling.