General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Understanding '04 V8 4X4 C0ntrols

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 11:21 PM
Default Understanding '04 V8 4X4 C0ntrols

Just bought the 4Runner described below and am struggling with understanding the 4X4 system. Would appreciate someone getting in touch directly via the email address below. Don't know why it's so dim.

Hello:

Help!!

Will begin by apologizing for not utilizing the excellent search function. Looking for rapid resolution to my situation and would prefer a mentor who can get in touch at stevewaclo@yahoo.com .

Here's the 411: Recently bought a 4R SR5 Sport V8 with 44k and took it off road for the first time yesterday. Also own an '87 Toyota, short bed, extended cab, 4X4 with a carbed 22R and 315k miles, so I'm no stranger to 4 wheel drive...at least I thought so. Did not review the owners manual on the SR5 (mistake #1?) and figured "how hard can it be?". Plenty, I guess.

Drove the easy part of Kings Canyon Road with no difficulty, but things got interesting when I started some serious climbing. Turning the rotary control to 4L (from a stop) and dropping back to 2L on the floor shifter brought a series of flashing icons and a continous beep. The truck climbed beautifully but can't believe the lights and beeping are SOP. Another issue of concern is that the DAC system did not function. After engaging (?) the push button and starting down a steep slope, the 4R just wanted to roll as if nothing was engaged (green DAC icon flashed).

Tried to plow through the owers manual when I got home, but kept getting glazed eyeballs when reading the center diff sections. Suspect the PO did not exercise the 4X4 function, as advised in the manual since he just pulled a 3500# trailer.

Anyway, would welcome assistance from anyone willing to spend time walking me up the learning curve. Especially want to do an evaluation and determine if things are in order...hoping it's simply my lack of knowledge.

stevewaclo@yahoo.com

Will check in to this site later today but would prefer off site one on one.

Thanks in advance.