Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Rust sucks...

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2007, 04:25 PM
Default Rust sucks...

My new engine should be here soon so I decided to go ahead and pull the blown one. Everythingwas easy enough until I got to the exhaust and the bell housing . The bolts are so rusted from 17 years of off roading that I have to cut the exhuast off to get the engine out and I dont know what to do about the bell housing. I dont want to just mess with them until they strip and I dont want to pull the transmission too. Any ideas?

On the good side now I have a reason for a new header back exhaust and those duals I wanted haha. Anyone know of a good company to get an 89 exhaust from? Please dont say Pacesetter. I've already had problems with them.

Old 01-20-2007, 04:48 AM
Default RE: Rust sucks...

Apply penetrating oil to the bolts, whack em a few times with a hammer to get the vibrations going, repeat every couple days for a week or so. Then throw on the biggest impact wrench that'll fit.

Remember that if you are whacking the bitter end of the bolt (vice the head) you need to throw on a nut so you don't wipe out the threads with a sideswipe hammer blow.

If that doesn't work, you might try heating things up with a torch. Lets see, heat expands so you want to heat the area surrounding the bolt.

If you end up stripping the heads,Sears sells those bolt out things in all sorts of sizes.

Old 07-04-2007, 10:42 AM

Yeah lots of oil over a few days and then an IMPACT hammer would be better if you can get ahold of one. I will throw vibes threw the bolt and unless the actual bolt integrity is fubar the bolt will come right out, might just have to do a little tapping after.

Old 12-26-2007, 04:59 PM

If you round the head off, weld a stubby grade 8 bolt with a bigger head on... The bigger grade 8bolt will give you a better head to inpact on, and the heat & thermal shockof the weld almost always loosens things up.....