Interior What have you done to the inside of your ride? Customized it? Kept it super clean? Talk about

Having problem with rear window on '86 4Runner

Old 12-22-2005, 07:50 PM
Default Having problem with rear window on '86 4Runner

Rear window does not seem to work by key at all and it seems to work by the interior switch every now and then but only after the rear wiper has been active. Had daughters boyfriend look at it, works for a local foreign shop and not sure if I trust some one who has tried to make that play....anyway, he says it's the wiper motor. I can see this contact in the wiring diagram of a shop manual however I can not make sense of it, not completely. If this were the case, the safety of the wiper motor not opening or closing-I am not clear on that; then the key should operate the window if the interier switch can. This has been an on going issue and I need to know where the wiring leaves the cabin and enters the rear door. Is the rear door just a drop down or hinged?

Any help will be appreciated.

Old 02-09-2006, 02:48 PM
Default RE: Having problem with rear window on '86 4Runner

The wiper motor has a contact that need to close (wiper in the full up position) before the rear window circut will be completed. If it sits low the contact is left open.Dab of grease on the little ramp thing usually does the trick if it's sticking. Otherwise you may need to adjust where the wiper sits on the stalk.

As for the key not working chances are the clip holding the plug to the lock probobly popped out and the window pulled the plug out when it rolled down. Very common.
It's a bit of work to remove all the screws on the inside of the tailgate to access it (2 beer job) but once your in there it's pretty obvious if it's unplugged. test light and voltometer are all two of the most valuable tools when you own a 4runner. Saved me from frustration many times.

Old 03-28-2009, 01:43 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by newbeeoldguy
Rear window regulator does not seem to work by key at all and it seems to work by the interior switch every now and then but only after the rear wiper has been active. Had daughters boyfriend look at it, works for a local foreign shop and not sure if I trust some one who has tried to make that play....anyway, he says it's the wiper motor. I can see this contact in the wiring diagram of a shop manual however I can not make sense of it, not completely. If this were the case, the safety of the wiper motor not opening or closing-I am not clear on that; then the key should operate the window if the interior switch can. This has been an on going issue and I need to know where the wiring leaves the cabin and enters the rear door. Is the rear door just a drop down or hinged?

Any help will be appreciated.
That reminds me when I was so dissatisfied with my rear window after my car done. The other window seems fine with just only minor bubbles. Some told me I should take my money back.

Old 06-09-2009, 01:12 PM
Super Moderator
Question Rear Window Regulator Assembly

I've got 1986 4Runner, the rear window occasionally gets jammed...founded out that the channel/track at the bottom of the glass was rusted out and the set of nylon rollers thats glides on it gets caught in the area...

Does anyone know if the track is part of the glass or part of the regulator assembly?

Any help is appreicated....

Thanks in advance...