New Member Area Are you new to 4 Runner Forum?? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

clunk in drive line

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2005, 12:54 AM
Default clunk in drive line

The clunk in my 04 4runner drive line is driving me crazy. This happens after coming to a stop the and than start up. It sounds and feels like some one has rear ended me. Dealership relubricated the slip yoke with a Ford lub (they said it was more slippery), but it is still clunking. They than told me this is a common accurance and they can do nothing more. I have been online to several forums and have discovered I am one of many with this problem. I am to the point where they either fix it or take back the auto. I can belive Toyota can get away with this. I would sell it, but who would buy a vechile doing this? Can anyone give advice? Thanks!

Old 01-02-2006, 02:28 PM
Administrator
Default RE: clunk in drive line

try contacting someone above the dealership, like a regional office. or, go into the dealership, and ask for the general manager. if he wont help you, ask for regional office info.

Old 01-09-2006, 03:44 PM

Thank you for the advice I received of this message board. I contacted the dealer, they gave me the # for the regional office which I contacted. After that the dealership appears to have, for the time being, repaired the problem. For others with this happening to them. They said this is a common problem that goes back several years. The fix was installing a Ford lub. in the slip yoke (which they said had already been done but just not enough lub was put in the first time). so far everthing is OK. THANKS to all!

Old 01-09-2006, 07:10 PM

I had a similar experience with a clunky drivetrain in my 1996 Forerunner. The problem was solved by ensuring that the slip yokes on the driveshafts were completely filled with grease, not just a few token squirts like some garages do. I think that this is more important than the brand of grease (I happen to use Chevron's Synthetic grease which holds up well under extreme conditions - hot, cold, or wet).

Old 02-08-2006, 02:50 PM

I've got the same problem, no solution and same response from dealership...I've learned to deal with it for now, until I hear of a true fix for it.

Old 02-09-2006, 02:03 PM
Administrator

you see, once a dealership has sold you a car, they really dont care what you think, unless you contact a regional office...then they will care..(i worked for a dealership for a while)