New Member Area Are you new to 4 Runner Forum?? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

New Nor Cal member & motor oil question

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2017, 11:12 PM
Cool New Nor Cal member & motor oil question

Greetings from the Central Coast of California...bought my first 4Runner about 18 months ago. 2001 SR5, runs like a champ. Drove it to Lake Tahoe and back - up to 8000 ft elevation. It has a few quirks - 230,000 miles or so. The odometer seems to read the MPH higher than the GPS by about 3 MPH. I'll bet the GPS is more accurate. And the radio could be better.

Question. I bought some less expensive synthetic motor oil at K-Mart. Super S motor oil, 5W-30. I checked at a website called Petroleum Quality Institute of America (PQIA) and one of their brands was tested in 2013. Anyone ever use this motor oil before? Not much info except the viscosity falls in the normal range and so does the phosphoros content. Did not say if there are detergents in this motor oil. I am depending upon the goodwill of K-Mart to not screw their customers by selling a horrible product, but you never know.

You wouldn't think there is so much to know about motor oil, did you? Apparently in the mid West there are oils you have to avoid because some are purposely mislabeled and can cause engine damage. Who knew, right? And here in California, about the only thing the PLAC (people's liberation army of Calif) has done right is get old oils off the shelf.

Anyway, the question I have is, has anyone had experience, good or bad, with Super S motor oil? I think from here on, I will stick with Mobil 1.

Last edited by AllanR; 01-06-2017 at 11:14 PM.