New Member Area Are you new to 4 Runner Forum?? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

terrible gas milage

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2005, 10:33 AM
Default terrible gas milage

need some help with this one. 97 3.5 v6 138,000 i've had this vehicle for two years and love it. Was surfing the other day and found this sight as well as some factory specs that state 17/19. This made me think that maybe my getting 8-10 in town is a little off. Am woring on cleaning fuel injectors. plugs are in good shape, thinking maybe o2 sensor? Other than the milage the car seems to run fine, doesn't miss at idle or during acceleration. any ideas?

Old 08-29-2005, 01:39 PM
Administrator

With a 1997 model, if there was an O2 sensor issue, since that is an emissions related item, your check engine light would come on. you have to understand that those specs of 17/19 are on a brand new vehicle, in a fairly controller environment. There are a few consumer right companies that are trying to push for companies to post real-world mileage stats, but nothing has come thus far. I would run some fuel system cleaner through it, like something from Outlaw or Lucas. Do you have any modifications, including different tire size?</P>

Old 08-29-2005, 06:14 PM

Is a 2W or 4W drive. I too have a 97 Limited Edition 2W 4Runner and in fact I am getting fantastic mileage from it - approx 20 - 22 MPG. There is gotto be something wrong if you are getting such a low mileage (even if you have a 4W drive).

Old 08-29-2005, 07:27 PM

The check engine light did come on two weeks ago but the milage has been bad for alot longer than that. No other mods that I am aware of. Am running 265's for tires. it is a 4 x 4 but like you say that should't have this much effect I wouldn't think.</P>

Old 09-03-2005, 04:48 PM

Fuel filter? That little bugger has made a lot of people's lives pretty miserable, an often overlooked little gadget.

Old 09-06-2005, 03:05 PM
Administrator

i would worry about getting it a good tune up, and possibly a good air filter, like a K&amp;N drop in, or even an aftermarket intake system if available. my car went from 22 to 24 with my K&amp;N CAI

Old 03-02-2007, 03:52 PM
Default RE: terrible gas milage

I had an 88 4runner 5speed v6 and when I changed the fuel filter my Kilometers dropped. I now have a 91 4runner 5speed v6 same engine type and changed fuel filter and again noticed big drop in kilometers. So few months later I bought another Fuel filter, this time spent the money to buy stock toyota fuel filter and still no change in Kilometers. When I had the truck I had about 335 KM now I get about 270km. what could it be? Anyone please have an idea why this happened and what I can do to improve fuel consumption. I haven't changed my oxygen sensor yet because engine light hasn't lit up. So i beleive the O2 sensor is okay. I have tried many times to figure out what is going on but with out any luck.

So if anyone has anyideas PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! help.

Many thanks in advance for any help,
Scoolro

Old 03-16-2007, 01:01 AM

catayletic converter possibly? I know when they start getting plugged you lose power and mileage.

Old 03-20-2007, 11:52 AM

Hey sorry to hear about the gas miliage. I have heard some rumblings on the internet about a BAD O2 Sensor severly impacting your runnermiliage with our model engine.

I too have a 99'3.4 Litre V6 (same model and engine as you) ANDGet this.... I heard that the O2 sensor can go bad for a long timeWITHOUT registering a "check engine" light on your dash.

You say that your gas miliagewas badWITH OUTandNOWWITH acheck engine light? With 135K,
I'm willing to bet that its 1 ofyour 2-- "O2" sensors or both.

THE GOOD NEWS: there easy to locate under your car (1 rightbefore and 1 rightafter) your catalictic converter on your tail pipe about midlength under your car.
THE BAD NEWS: the o2 sensors are expensive at your local"Stealer" and sometimes they are well rusted to the tail pipe. FYI Upon removel, Seriouslywatch yourhands as I swear that I have almost lost a whole frickenknuckle before *ucking around trying to removea stupid o2 sensor that was rusted to the tail pipe.

you can find this OEMpart for justover $100.00 each online from areal toyota dealer who (online)sellsthe same part for much cheaper than your local toyota dealer. I believe "Mossy" toyota out of Californiais a online OEM toyota discounter.

Fyi you may wish to take your car in to have the trouble check engine light diagnosed at a trusted shop who can scan your cars ECM($30 to $100.00)and find out what the realissue is..... andthen fix the issue your self.

especially if it isan o2 sensor, as they arepretty easy to change out (if there not rusted to your tail pipe)

good luck and let please letus know what you find out.

Old 03-20-2007, 11:51 PM

Very interesting read. How easy is it to replace the fuel filter by yourself?

Quick Reply: terrible gas milage