Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

antenna running opposite radio on/off

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 11:04 AM
Super Moderator
Default antenna running opposite radio on/off

Ok Guys I've really done it now.

I was replacing the antenna mast on my 2000 4Runner and some how got the motor running opposite the on/off setting on the radio.

So when the radio is on the mast is down and with the radio off the mast is up.

I inadvertantly removed the motor from the housing during this operation and wonder if that has something to do with it. It was a beast to get the motor back in while keeping the motor brushes and springs compressed but came up with a neat trick to solve that issue.

I've tried unplugging the power at the antennae and then cycling the radio but the antenna motor must have a mechanical switch in it somewhere because it "remembers" where it was whether it is hooked up to power or not.

Any help would be appreciated.

Love my 4Runner by the way. My wife does too. Wants to trade her Honda van for a 2nd 4Runner. OK by me.

Thanks

Old 06-02-2007, 10:37 PM
Default RE: antenna running opposite radio on/off

IT COULD BE WHEN U REINSERTED THE NEW ANTENNA IT CAUGHT THE GEAR ON THE WRONG SIDE. NOT SURE WHICH WAY IT GOES LEFT OR RIGHT.
FOR EXAMPLE IF YOUR STANDING IN FRONT OF THE ANTENNA THE TEETH ON THE NEW ANTENNA SHOULD FACE TOWARDS THE REAR OF THE CAR OR VICE VERSA. EASY FIX U JUST MADE IT MORE COMPLICATED BY TAKING IT APART.

Old 06-04-2007, 09:23 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: antenna running opposite radio on/off

Thanks for the reply.

The way thegears are set up I don't think you can get to the "wrong" side of the gear.
I resolved the problem by taking the motor back off and turning it 180 degrees. It was such a pain the first time that I was trying to avoid having to take it off again but there didn't seem to be any other solution. It works like a champ and like it's supposed to.
Thanks again.