Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

runner is acting like its carb'd when it starts in the morning NEED GURU pls!

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2007, 05:38 PM
Default runner is acting like its carb'd when it starts in the morning NEED GURU pls!

Well I have to give it some gas when i start it up in the morning. Once its warmed it starts up like a champ..its just when its cold it needs some gas...its not all that cold here in San Diego, CA???

What do I switch out? Thanks

Old 03-09-2007, 02:50 PM
Default RE: runner is acting like its carb'd when it starts in the morning NEED GURU pls!

Just a couple of suggestions here on your issue. Most likely, it is one of 2 things.....
A "Spark" issue or a "fuel" issue.

LIKELY SUSPECTS to think about
NOTE: these issue WILL NOT necessarly produce a "Check Engine Light" on your runner
#1) Older/worn spark plugs (SEE BELOW)
#2) Arealdirty air filter
#3) bad o2 sensor(s)BTW you likely have 2-"O2" sensors)
#4) Clogged fuel filter from arealbad tank of gas

1st off, you shouldNEVER need topump your gas pedal with fuel injection.... your engine will get flooded and the plugs will getsaturated/ruined real fast.

I found out the hard way that my 99' runner has 30,000 miles "standard" sparkplugs inthe engine. How?

At 78KI foolishlyadded some injector cleaner to a1/4 fullgastank,and immediatlyaftermy engine started running REAL BAD (misfiring and knocking in a real bad way).

I then thought that I had ruined the injector seals and Iwanted to puke (and thenkill myself)when I thought about what might have done to my car's injectors.

Here was the issue: at 78,000 miles I did a STUPID thing andI put the last nail in the cofffin on my 30K max standardplugs by adding injector cleaner.

Soon after, when I pulled the sparkplugs out of myV6 runnerthe duelelectrodes on the plugswere completly worn away, blackened,and corroded from the injector cleaner. Basically, unknowinglyI was able to get 80,000 miles out of my 30,000 mile plugs. Here is the deal....If you have never changed yourrunner's sparkplugs, it may be time... I personally know that cold plugs that areoldcan fire differently from warm old plugs.With older plugsover time, the metal electrodeson the plugswear away and your "spark gap"is increasedwhich actually changes the timing of your engine.

I now have 135,000 miles on my engine and it runs great!
FYI,NO MORE INJECTOR CLEANER FOR ME EVER!
Just fill up withgood quality fuel. For me, 87 octane withShell or BP they both are considered "top teir" fuels by auto manufacturers who rate measure and rate fuel quality. Once in a while (every 10 tankfuls)I'lluse premium Shell "V power" or "amaco ultimate" because they use added detergents to help clean out injectors. But really, a good quality 87 is just fine.

BTW, PLEASEstay away from shady looking gas stations.Some oldergas stationsdo notfilter the gas thatis pumped into yourcar's tank. Can you say "clogged fuel filter"?

ALSO, with some of the older and aged gas station tanks, you may get a tank full of water after a heavy rain.

Good luck