Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

tune up gone bad. WTF? in need of serious help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 12:44 PM
Default tune up gone bad. WTF? in need of serious help!!!

Hey guys,

I am a new member to the site but i have owned my 4runner for a few years now. I will start off by saying that I have basic knowledge of engine repair and maintenance, I have always done my own work to stretch the Pennie as far as it can go. Things i have done and can do are engine swaps, CV joint changes, U-joint's, oil, trans filters and oil, and so on and so on, so I am not a newbie at these repairs. Okay with that said, here we go.

Truck: 1991 4runner 3vze 3.0L auto trans, 4x4, 5" suspension lift
Yesterday i bought new E3 spark plugs, top of the line plug wires, top shelf cap and rotor for a basic tune up, (air filter and PCV not needed).
the driver side was the easiest for the spark plugs, I uninstalled the stock air intake and TA-DA, easy access. The passenger side was a bit more difficult for me I had to remove the charcoal vacuum canister from the firewall to access the last plug (closest to the firewall). Okay so everything is going smooth...
Next the wires, cap and rotor were put on with ease. when I was finished I put the stock air intake back together and then reinstalled the vac, canister. put the battery back in and started it only to find that it now runs like total crap. It spudders and pops and backfires, and has no power. i can feel it surging like the timing is off or whatever. I checked the distributor and that thing is on tight and I really dont think me changing the cap "bumped" the timing. My main question is the VAC CANISTER when i removed it i didnt know that it had a vac line on the bottom. the line on the bottom seemed to be not connected to anything and was just hanging there. I bought a book and it dont tell me anything about the location of that line. Whathappened here? What is this supposed to be connected to?

I did rotate the canister upside down for a bit while doing the plugs, do i need to purge it?
Also i put all the old stuff back on the truck to eliminate any faulty parts I mite have bought but it runs the exact same(maybe a little worse) with the old plugs, wires, cap and rotor.

Please Please Please help me out here guys, this is my daily driver and i got to go to school on monday!!!!

Old 02-12-2011, 12:48 PM
Default tune up gone bad

oh one more thing is it smells like raw unburnt fuel from the tail pipe... REAL BAD! almost made me sick in my garage.