General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2000 4Runner SR5 - Broken Antenna Motor?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 11:31 AM
Default 2000 4Runner SR5 - Broken Antenna Motor?

Hi, everybody!

I'm new to the world of Toyota. My F150 was just destroyed by some fool that decided to try and beat me through a light. His insurance money has now helped finance my "new" vehicle.

Anyway, I've purchased a 2000 4Runner SR5. Unfortunately, I never turned on the radio during the test drive. Now that I have the vehicle, I hear a grinding noise behind the glove box at start up and shut down and ONLY when the radio is on. The noise lasts for about 20 seconds at start up and about half of that at shut down.

I haven't made time to dig around in there and this noise is only my best guess but, before I start a blind exploration, I thought I would ask people who have more experience with these vehicles for their thoughts.

Assuming I'm right in diagnosing the problem, how easy a fix is this? Is this something I can easily disconnect/repair without visiting the dealer? What are other people's experiences with this problem? Any and all information and suggestions are appreciated.

On a side note, a prior owner installed an air compressor for refilling tires after dune driving and for charging an aftermarket air horn. According to the guy I bought from, the horn stopped working a month ago and he never learned how to use the air compressor. Is there a standard after market set-up for things like this? If so, where might I go to learn how to use the compressor and troubleshoot the horn?

Thank you for your help.

Ethan