General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2016 4Runner SRS AC issue (leak)

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2016, 09:51 AM
Default 2016 4Runner SRS AC issue (leak)

Hey,

Decided to jump on a forum to see if there is any tech knowledge of a similar issue as the dealership has already failed once.

Issue: On very hot days, the AC unit fails and antifreeze (green fluid) begins to leak from the front end by the radiator and AC fails to operate correctly. This has happened twice while my wife was driving the kids to specific events. First occasion, the dealership Mx team said a line was completely off and was told, "the only way it can do that is by a human untightening the specific line". I stressed no one has worked on that system as it has only 10K miles on it, there has been no front end damage, and it is only used as a kid transportation vehicle for my wife. They reattached the line, recharged and said it was a fluke incident since they couldn't find blame.

Two weeks later (this Sunday), wife again driving the kids around and occurs again. This time at startup of the vehicle. She turned the car on to begin cooling the car, started placing the kids in their car seats when she noticed white smoke coming from the front end, green liquid dripping on the ground, and a hissing noise. She turned AC off, rolled down the windows, and came home with 2 pissed off kids. When she got home, I inspected the front end, antifreeze everywhere on the driver side front engine/radiator compartment. No visible hoses/lines disconnected; AC is functional but cooling power is low (due to the lack of pressure in the system from the leak).

Dropping it off at the dealer today - it's under warranty, so I have that going for me. But I want to know if there is some underlying issue that can cause this. My assumption is that it is pressure within the AC system (radiator/lines/pump) related as it occurred during the two hottest days in Denver? Did not see any crimped lines, no visible cracks, no "odd" noise while running system... so I am probably wrong. Just do not want a dealership Mx try to sell me on, "we just didn't properly torque the hose... our bad."... Maybe the case... just looking for additional ammo to make sure all bases are being covered by the dealer.

Any help would be great!
Thanks - Tim