General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

93 rear axle replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 11:15 PM
Default 93 rear axle replacement

i drive a 1993 sr5 4runner and im thinking about putting a limited-slip diff. in it just for fun and to maybe boost resale. im pretty new to cars and i was looking for some expert advice on what to do. thanks for the help

Old 09-20-2007, 12:00 AM
Default RE: 93 rear axle replacement

Several years ago I had a 1988 4Runner and installed a lockrite locker. The problem with a locker in the rear is that if you ever encounter snow or ice it makes driving a nightmare. The only way around this is with a switchable locker such as a cable locker, air locker or electric locker. You might be OK with a limited slip locker but they are generally not very good for rock crawling since they require too much axle spin for slow rock crawling. A switchable locker is best in my humble opinion. (having learned the hard way with my 88 4Runner doing 360's on ice and snow without even trying)

Installing the locker wasnt too bad. Since my lockrite was simply a replacement for the spider gears it was just a matter of getting the ring gear off to install the lockrite. I highly recommend having an air powered socket driver for this task. Those ring gear bolts are on there quite tight. To take out the 3rd member does require dismantling the axles a bit. You dont have to completely remove the axles but just pull them out far enough so they disengage from the 3rd member. Then unbolt the third member and pull it out.

Hopefully this made some sense.

Generally doing modifications to a vehicle doesnt increase the resale value. Most people dont know what a locker is and dont care. Finding a buyer interested in a locker is a pretty small market since most people use SUV's as a big old station wagon.

Old 09-20-2007, 12:19 AM

hey that was really helpful. i was thinking about taking out the axlr anyways and cleaning it and rebuilding it cause i just rolled up 170,000 miles on it. how much would a lockrite cost and what kinda skills do i need to put it in?

Old 09-20-2007, 10:09 PM

I have a Detroit Truetrak LSD in the rear of my 87. I specifically wentwith the DTT because:
a.I couldn't afford an ARB Air Locker (just about the only switchable full locker on the marketwhen I did this
b. I was going to spend a winter in Rhode Islandand I knew auto locking full lockers can contribute to spinouts on low friction surfaces
c. Truetrak is gear drivenso nospecial fluids nor clutch plates to worry about.

I've driven it in snow, no worries at all. However, like gmcgough says, a LSD is not the right choice for serious off roading.

Old 09-21-2007, 12:50 AM

yea i dont really do too much serious offroading becuase i live in the suburbs. i hit the occasional mud puddle but no rock climbing and other stuff. im mainly doing this because its my culminating project plus i think it would be fun to do....knowing that is this still a good idea?

Old 09-21-2007, 06:00 PM

Yes, a LSD or locker is a good idea. If your truck has open diffs on both ends, well, you could get stuck on such a minor thing as a soft shoulder. If one tire each per axle is on a slippery surface, you ain't going anywhere. Very embarassing in a 4WD vehicle. Been there, done that.