General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

After coming to complete stop?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 01:17 PM
Default After coming to complete stop?

I have a 2003 4runner limited 4X4. After coming to a complete stop, like at a stop light for instance, when i let off the brake and before i touch the gas pedal my car makes a thump noise. The car almost acts like it wants go and do a little hop. I hope i explained this well enough for a helpful suggestion. I have no clue. The odd thing is that i used to have a 99 tacoma 4X4 and it did the same thing. Every time i took the tacoma to the toyota dealership they told me that there was nothing wrong and that they intentionally put slack in the rear-end. I would be extremely thankful if anybody could diagnose this problem. thanks!

Old 02-13-2009, 09:02 PM
Default RE: After coming to complete stop?

I too was frustrated by this "thump" and did hours and hours of web searches.....and finally found THE fix.

You don't even need to raise your truck. Get a grease gun with a hose (not the hard tube) and lube six zerks. Four of these are lubing the U-joints and the other two are the slip-joints for the drive shafts (front and rear). I hit the U-joints with about 2 pumps each, and then according to the threads I found, hit the slip-joints about 12-15 times. Watch for the joint to expand. If it does STOP pumping....it is done. I did not get any expansion with my 12-15 pumps and there is absolutley NO MORE THUMPIMG.

Good Luck

Old 02-16-2009, 06:49 AM

Oh man i hope that works. I'll give it a shot. Regardless, thanks for the help!!!!

Old 03-03-2009, 08:03 AM

I too had that thump noise. It was bad enough to startle me sometimes thinking I was lightly rear ended. Funny that it went away when I lifted my 2007 with EMU shocks and springs. Guess there's some kind of strain when the suspensions at stock heigths. Wonder if any of the other generation runners that were higher stock had that problem. I used to think it was the hill holder feature until I lifted mine and it went away. Heard that greasing works too. Just funny that straight from the factory these 4runners do it. They should be greased during dealer setup if not from the factory.