General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

CLUTCH ON /CLUTCH OFF

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2005, 02:43 AM
Default CLUTCH ON /CLUTCH OFF

1986 4runner 4 bannger 5 speed maunal hydralic clutch. I recently replaced my clutch along with everything that has any thing to do with the clutch. master cyl. slave cyl. steel lines, and rubber flex hose. what I have is when bleeding the system I cannot get rid of the air in the system. I have attempted to bleed the system numerous times with no avail. I went as far as replacing the new master and slave still not able to get rid of the air in the system. I put a presuere test on the lines and they are holding pressure. I did manage to bleed the air out twice but the pedal had no significant pressure and clutch stayed ingaged when pedal was down. after letting the 4runner sit a day the system had air in it again. any ideas on what could be happening.

Old 12-14-2005, 03:02 PM
Default RE: CLUTCH ON /CLUTCH OFF

you must buy your master and slave cylinders from a quality parts house.....no discount stores, i believe they are for only buying oil on sale and add on gadgets. i had a problem with bleeding parts, returned them, then went to Napa and purchased master and slave, put 'em on.........truck got clutch almost immediately. Hadn't worked on a vehicle in awhile
and forgotten my Old Golden Rule. Sure hope this is your problem and nothing worse.

Old 12-26-2005, 05:40 PM
Default RE: CLUTCH ON /CLUTCH OFF

I did the samething to my 4runner and had changed out everything also. but.. that wasnt the problem. the problem was that the place I bought the clutch kit from had the wrong bearing and it would just miss the forks and go right through the whole maybe that could be your problem and maybe not . If the hydrolic system is working fine then look into the bearing. its a pain in the *** but it had to be done.