General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Clutch Wont Completely Release

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 07:18 PM
KJO
Default Clutch Wont Completely Release

93, 3.0. The clutch was replaced a few months before I bought it and probably has less than 5K miles on it. The clutch never seemed right, the pedal had to be pushed completely to the floor, or maybe just a touch off, to disengage, but it did disengage. At one point it seemed to get a little worse so I replaced the clutch master cyl. It seemed slightly better, but really don't think it was. Then one evening my wife was driving it and she heard a POP and the clutch didn't work. I discovered the pop was the bracket that holds the clutch pedal assembly in place (under the dash) broke. Instead of starting with the easy stuff I decided it MUST be the clutch itself that was the problem. I pulled it all apart (what a pain in the ***) and it all looked good--except the shop that replaced the clutch did not replace the pilot bearing so I did. I even took the pressure plate/clutch disk into an auto parts store and compared to a new one--looked the same to me. I put it all back together (a bigger pain in the ***), replaced the master cyl (again) and the slave cyl. I also bolted down the broke corner of the plate that had broke to reduce the amount it flexed. I bled the master cyl many times and then read how to bleed the slave cyl so did that as well--along with the master cyl a few more times. The clutch will not completely release. Also, the adjustment on the master cyl rod is as far out as it can be.

This thing is driving me crazy. If you have any suggestions--other than take it to a shop--I would be glad to hear them. The next step is taking it to a shop, just really don't want to spend the money.