General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

driveline vibrations/please help

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 08:33 PM
Default driveline vibrations/please help

anyone had driveline vibrations,ie,u joints,transmission mount problems,exp,any feed back app,thank you

Old 03-27-2010, 04:23 PM
Super Moderator

I have the same issue with my 4runner. Sometimes the steering wheel shimmys-sometimes the body will vibrate--sometimes it will reverberate like something heavy is moving on a mount. Let me know if you find anything. NO hopes for this sight though---Tried the same basic question 3 years ago---298 people have looked at it, not one response????? I've got a thread started about reverberation---No responses??? Someone must know something.

Old 05-03-2010, 07:59 AM
Super Moderator
Default Driveline vibrations

Good morning gents,

Here's my experience - hope it helps.

98 base model with 4 banger, 2wd, automatic tranny, 90-100 thousand miles on it. Had two separate occasions of this, both ended up being bad u-joints, even though the second one didn't seem bad initially.
Began encountering a low frequency vibration felt through the seats and the shifter under acceleration only. Originally began around the 45-50 mph mark and gradually began to expand its speed range up and down the scale, all under acceleration. When I took my foot off the gas, it pretty much just disappeared. Took the truck to a shop, checked alignment and balances and all was within acceptable spec. Keep in mind as well that this was NOT a braking vibration issue in any way!
After the wheels and front end was OK'd, a further check located the rear u-joint going bad, even though it SEEMED tight. As we rotated the drive shaft, one of the bearing caps was found to be loose on its post and showing fresh metal at its base. Long story short, replaced the u-joint and everything was back to normal, mystery vibration gone.
Fast forward to approximately 1 year later - same problem again! This time it was the front u-joint (should have changed em both at the same time!). What's worse is that the front u-joint went bad much faster and in the process, failed so badly that as it was coming apart it damaged the front yolk AND tail shaft from the tranny as well!
I had to get a new tail shaft for the tranny and have the driveshaft repaired by way of having the damaged yolk cut off and a new front yolk welded on. That little escapad set me back around 250.00 - 300.00. Results: No more vibration coming from seats, shifter, under acceleration, etc.
Don't waste your time thinking having your driveshaft balanced is going to get some kind of result unless you've compromised/damaged it somehow in the first place - they don't just mysteriously get out of balance and need it periodically like wheels do.

Old 05-18-2010, 12:57 AM

On the drive shaft there should be a weight. Maybe check and see if it is still there, the shaft may balance out when your going faster, but lose balance and start to vibrate when it slows down. The vibration would transfer into the transmition most likely.

Old 05-18-2010, 10:29 PM

I have that problem with my 99' 4runner limited. everythings starts shaking and vibrating at 65-70mph. U joints might have to check it out

Old 05-18-2010, 10:31 PM

I have the same problem. 99' runner is making me very angry. mechanics don't know how to fix it?

Old 05-19-2010, 12:54 AM

On the drive shaft there should be a weight. Maybe check and see if it is still there, the shaft may balance out when your going faster, but lose balance and start to vibrate when it slows down. The vibration would transfer into the transmition most likely.