General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with CV axl replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2006, 01:56 PM
Default Help with CV axl replacement

Hi,

I need help with the replacement of my front CV axl. I have it unbolted from the motor side and cant quite get enough room to get it off of the studs. Do I have to take apart my 4X4 hub and rotor assebly or just undo my lower control arm?

thanks in adva nce

Old 05-26-2006, 06:20 PM
Default RE: Help with CV axl replacement

hi

all you have to do is take apart the hub assembly assuming this has an ADD diffrential with auto hubs. should be a bolt and large washer in the end of the cv shaft and a lock ring behind the splined cap where the manual locker would be. you don't have to take the control arms off!! but i belive you have to unbolt the shock absorber because the bolt head won't let the cv clear. Also you might have to take off the end cap expossing the inner cv joint this allows the external portion of the cv joint to move in a little farther clearing the studs on the differential stub shaft. you will have to play with the angle of the control arms by jacking the frame of the vehicle and letting the front suspension sag or compress to acheive the right angle to let the shaft come out.

hope this helps