General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you know if an engine is seized?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2006, 08:54 PM
Default How do you know if an engine is seized?

Hi, Quick background. Have a 92 4 Runner, SR5. It was leaking oil for awhile and had to continuiously put a quart in about every week. I was coming back from a business trip that was about 100 miles away and when I got about 75 miles the engine lost compression and then died. After waiting about 20 minutes it started back up and went about another mile before again shutting down. It did this about three times before It wouldn't start and then had to be towed. It made a loud clunking sound the last time. After the engine sat awhile I checked the oil and the oil mark was to the add quart area of the dipstick. Now when I try to start the vehicle the starter just clicks a bunch of times. Is there a way to check if the engine is seized? Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do? I know, I will not and have not from that moment on neglected an automobile. If it needs serviced I get it done. I learned a very valuable and expensive lesson. Thanks, Jerome.

Old 03-22-2006, 11:18 AM
Default RE: How do you know if an engine is seized?

What transmission type do you have?

1) Standard - Key to on (so you can steer), transmission in neutral, have a friend help you roll the truck, jump in, push in the clutch, drop in 2nd, let out the clutch. If the truck bucks but continues to roll the back wheels your engine is NOT seized. If one (or both) rear wheels skid then the engine is seized.

2) Automatic - Key OFF. You can try to turn the engine over using the front engine pully (harmonic balancer). This can be tough.

It might just be your starter. The "new" style with ceramic windings usually just give up when they decide to die. Then all you get is clicking.

HTH T