General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

instrument lighting problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2006, 03:13 PM
Default instrument lighting problems

Hi everyone. I am new to this forum and it looks great! I bought a 95 4runner about three months ago and am fixing it up with my daughter. The dash light do not work. After checking the fuses and looking in the manuals i'm stumped. I tried to bypass the dimmer (three wire) but only blew a fuse. Does the dimmer have to be in the circuit for the lights to work? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Old 11-30-2006, 05:05 PM
Default RE: instrument lighting problems

Did you test the lights in the panel to see if they are burnt out or shorted out somehow? I had a coca-cola fly into the panel of my dad's Chevy 1500 (long story) and it shorted out the lights in it. I believe replacement lights are made for them but it might be better to replace the whole panel if that is the problem.

Use a circut tester on the wires going to the panel. If the circut is good then you need to replace the lights or the whole panel. If the circut is bad you need to check all the wires behind the panel and search them for breaks until you cannot see them anymore. If there are any breaks in the wiring they should be in sight.

If you still can't find the problem check all fuses. Reply if you need anymore help.