General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

More rear window problems...

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 01:26 AM
Default More rear window problems...

Sorry for repeating a common theme on this forum, but I need some help!! For the past year, my 1990 4R's large center back window has been indecisive about wanted to roll down and especially up. It would make that clicking noise in the back, but It still wouldn't work until I pressed the center console button (with the engine started) about 50 times. Sometimes I would have to give up, and then the next day I would be able to get it to work, after repeated tries (of course). Additionally, the window won't do anything at all (no clicking even) when I try to use my key in the back door. I have read that this whole window issue is common, however I have never heard of a remedy for it (beyond taking it into a shop and dropping obscene amounts of money on it). Well, as of yesterday, after rolling the window down, I tried to roll it back up and now it doesn't even make a clicking noise. Thank god for duct tape and card board. What do I do?!!! Any info would be greatly appreciated ~ Pete

Old 10-16-2006, 01:31 AM
Default RE: More rear window problems...

Alright, alright... So I didn't read enough posts below mine to see if there was someone with a similar issue- sorry. It sounds like there may be a possible relay issue of some sort, or there could be a variety of other problems going on. I'll try the suggestions mentioned in the other post about window problems...

Old 10-16-2006, 01:34 AM

I would bet money that the relay for the rear window is going out. Mine did the same thing until it quit all together. The relay is in the compartment inside left rear behind the wheel well. I got a replacement on ebay for around $40. I have seen them from $40-150. Be sure and get the number off of the old one before looking, different years take a different relay. They cost several hundred dollars new. The one I got used has lasted over a year and it still works.

Old 10-16-2006, 07:20 PM

Do you know how you test the relay to successfully determine if that is the problem? Thanks a ton for the info ~

Old 01-26-2012, 10:29 PM

hey-my name is rob and im new to this forum. i resently bought a '95 4runner and the truck is great. im having a problem with driver side window. it wont roll up. all others work and the light on switch works but thats all any ideas?

Old 01-30-2012, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by boston rob
hey-my name is rob and im new to this forum. i resently bought a '95 4runner and the truck is great. im having a problem with driver side window. it wont roll up. all others work and the light on switch works but thats all any ideas?
Hey Rob,

Does the window motor make any noise?

You might just need a new window motor or perhaps the regulator.

Check eBay for relatively inexpensive parts.