General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

new to me 95 with a few issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 08:59 AM
Default new to me 95 with a few issues

I bought a 95 4Runner on Friday and I love it but it does have a few issues.

When we picked it up I checked everything I could think of to make sure it all worked. The only things I found that didnt work were the button on the floor by the shifter for the rear window and the driver side window. The wipers worked fine but Saturday morning when I went to use them they wouldn't work so I'm guessing blown fuse but the fuse cover is missing so I don't know what fuse I need to be looking at.

The keys I got were copies and they're a little loose and sticky at times so we're replaceing them next week. The wipers and windows are the only thing I really need to figure out, any help would be appreciated
Thanks

Old 04-04-2011, 08:47 PM

Welcome to the world of the 95 4runner. The issue that you are having with the rear window switch in the center console may be from a build up of soft drink spilled down into the switch over a period of time. Before replaceing the switch I would try cleaning it first. They make an electrical contact cleaner that may do the trick.

As far as the key issue. I would recommend going to your local dealership and having them cut you a couple of master keys using your vin number. This will insure that they fit all of your locks (provided someone hasn't replaced a lock).

I would also recommed that you take your new to you 4runner to your local Toyota dealer to make sure that ALL of the recalls have been performed. There is a very important one that deals with the steering linkage on this model. There are others but your dealer will be able to tell you quickly which ones have been done and which ones have not.

Best of luck

Old 04-05-2011, 09:35 AM

Dad called a dealership to ask about the keys and they made him mad so I'm going to have to find a different dealership. They wanted $105 for one key and over $500 to redo all of them. And they wouldn't even talk to him about the other problems, they said he'd have to bring it in.

I have a few other things I can't firgure out
  1. What's the little button beside the switch for the sunroof? its loose and doesn't seem to do anything
  2. There's a button right behind the shifter, when you push it the dash lights up "ect power", what does this button do?