General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about potential purchase of 2001 4runner

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 12:01 AM
Default Question about potential purchase of 2001 4runner

Hey all,

So, this is my first post here, but I've been a longtime reader/drooler of other people's 4runners.

I'm in the market for a used 4runner, and I have a great lead on one from a friend's brother.

My friend's brother works for Bosch, and he bought a 2001 4runner that was used as an indoor testing vehicle for Bosch research. It basically earned it's first 100k miles on rollers. Since it's lived outside, it's been meticulously maintained, with a paper trail to indicate that.

Anyway, it's a 2001 SR5 with 160k miles on it.

My friend described it as this

"160k miles
Off Road Package
A/T tires
4x4
Custom Grill
Sun Roof
Towing Package
Driven very lightly (no offroading)
garage kept"

Anyway, I'm having a hard time determining if an "off-road package" exists, but otherwise it sounds like a steal for $6,600.

The caveat is that since it has been driven outside, it's been a Michigan car. I grew up in Michigan, and I know exactly what that means. Rust. Apparently it has some rust on the drivetrain components on the undercarriage.

My question is, is it worth it still? What can be done about rust? I live in Colorado now, and I don't think mag chloride has quite the same affect as road salt does, so I'd assume that it would just be a matter of powerwashing/sanding the rust and sealing it.

Otherwise, is this a great deal? Is it worth driving it back from Michigan?

I'm looking for a 4runner to replace my VW Golf. My golf is not a mountain car, and I enjoy all things mountainous, and I need something to get me to trail-heads and through snow. I've had a vicarious love affair with 4runners since my father owned one in the early 90's.

Cheers, and I appreciate any advice anyone can give me!

Old 07-23-2010, 10:05 AM

It sounds like a deal depending on the rust issue. When you say it spent the first 100K on rollers, was it driven outside at all during that time? If it just has 60K worth of rust build up I'd say it's an excellent deal. If it's been driven outside for the whole 160K then rust may be an issue and should be checked out. As the guys on the other forum said there wasn't an "off road package" for this year and the towing package probably just means it has a hitch and a plug for a trailer.

Old 07-26-2010, 08:30 PM

Thanks for the reply! I figured I would post here and on the other forum. =)

Cheers.