General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rear window problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2005, 02:47 AM
Default rear window problems

hey guys, first post here. anyway, ill get to bussiness. i have a 1993 4runner with v6 fully loaded, leather, sunroof etc. everything but automatic.

the problem is my rear window wont roll down. when i bought it, it had the wiring harness in the rear door removed. because i was told nothing worked for the window. i plugged the harness back in to see what would happen. and now the "back door" light on the dash comes on. and i get a warning beep when i push the rear window button. but i have 2 plugs on the harness that dont go anywhere. so im assuming that there is supposed to be some type of limit switches or sensors that were removed. but i checked my hanes manual, and i cant find anything like that in there. oh yeah, and if i put some leads off a battery to the motor for the window, the motor works.

so im wondering what sensors are supposed to be there?? or what else the problem could be??

Old 10-05-2005, 03:57 PM
Administrator
Default RE: rear window problems

it sounds like you were either given the wrong harness, or someone changed the motor/switch, so it wont work with the new harness

Old 10-05-2005, 08:04 PM

so are you saying there are no sensors at all back there?? cause there would have to be some type of switch back there to prevent the door from unlocking when the window is up?? and as far as i know it is the right harness. i bought the truck from a friend of mine. and it didnt work when he bought it. he was the one who took the harness apart. he said he took out some switches or sensors. but he cant find them since he moved.

but the harness that is in the truck has 3 plugs on it. one goes to the window motor. and the other 2 go very close to that area. so im not sure what is going on. but im prety sure it has the proper harness.

Old 10-12-2005, 12:07 PM
Administrator

hmm..ive never really dealt with an issue like this before...do you, by chance, have a repair manual?

Old 10-12-2005, 04:03 PM

just a haynes repair manual. and it doesnt really list anything about it.

Old 10-19-2005, 08:37 PM

while going through the manual i found something in the schematic. the one for the defogger, lists one of the wires running thru the deffoger module i think it was. goes to a rear window limit switch. anyone know anything about that??

Old 10-20-2005, 04:05 PM
Administrator

"limit switch"?

Old 10-20-2005, 08:02 PM

ya i dont have alot of details. there is a schematic in the haynes manual for the rear deffoger. the one wire that runs out of the deffoger module, says it goes to window limit switch. but it doesnt show the switch. it just shows that there is a wire leaving the module. i dont have the manual in front of me. so i cant give a much better description. anyway, if nobody can offer much more help. im gonna stop by toyota and see if they can give me a picture break down from the parts manual. and ill let ya know what i come up with.

Old 11-09-2005, 01:17 AM

not sure if anyone cares anymore. but heres an update on the problem.

i talked to the guy i bought it from. and he found the switches from the trunk he removed. there were 2 switches. one is a switch that is pressed by the window when it comes down. so i figure thats a limit switch to make the motor cut out once the window is down all the way.

the other is a switch that gets pressed by the locking mechanism once it is unlocked. this one im not sure of its purpose.

after hooking up both switches, i still have the "back door" light on, on the dash.

so im prety sure the problem now is, there has to be a sensor that tells it if the back door is open or not. and it is not working. but i dont know where it is?? so im screwed for now. but have to pick up some brake lines from toyota in a few days, so ill check on their parts look up. but if someone here could help thatd be good.