General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Saggy Rear End Problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2006, 09:52 PM
Default Saggy Rear End Problem

My '94 4-runner sags in the back end. Does anybody have a suggestion about how to fix this problem? I think it really looks bad. Thanks for any suggestions.

Old 03-10-2006, 10:46 PM
Default RE: Saggy Rear End Problem

I need help too

Old 03-22-2006, 02:12 PM

To fix the problem right you have 2 options IMO.

1) Take the 4Runner to a local spring shop and have the rear coils "re-arched" or stretched back to their original length. I'd estimate about $400 to do this.

2) Purchase a set of "new" rear coil springs and install them. (Don't know the $$$ on this). You might be able to find something on-line, perhaps from one of the "lift kit" vendors.

You will want to do a 4 wheel alignment after either of these options.

HTH T

Old 03-23-2006, 07:31 PM

i have a cheaper solution.
go to your local advanced auto and buy a 6in leaf spring extender shackle kit costs about $17 and will actually raise your rear about an inch higher then the front works great i have it on my runner and have not had any problems, took me about 2 hours in my driveway to do(note that my runner is an 86 so i had 20yrs worth of rust and crud to fight with,may take less time with newer vehicles)

Old 03-24-2006, 12:25 PM

The '89 - '95 has coil rear springs so the shackel extension (for leaf springs) won't work.

I have to print a retraction. (3/24/2006)

I have been working on my daughter's '95 with sag. The previous owner put air shocks on - bad idea. The handling just isn't there. Air shocks with leaf springs is probably OK, I don't like them with coil springs - I get overstear.

I found a 1.25 inch coil spacer from Daystar (1.25" KT09100 $85.50) from www.wheelersoffroad.com. This should fix the problem and the installation looks OK. I will give more feed back after the install.

HTH T

Old 04-03-2006, 12:46 PM

Update -

Put on 2 inch spacers on the '95 this weekend. I played around with which spacer would get the right height by putting different size "shims" under the rear wheels. An 1 3/4 inch board (2x4) under the rear tires looked about right.

Turns out that by removing the 1/4 inch factory spacer and replacing it with the 2" got it just right (net 1 3/4 inch lift). The rear wheels track correctly and the brake line has lots of slack. Rancho 5000 shocks are happy too. I did have to adjust the brake proportioning valve linkage. Took it to its maximum height and then had to put a slight bend (up) to get the braking correct. Looks really sharp now and handles the way it should.

I did get spring compressors for the job. I tried it (per the spacer instructions) without the compressors but I did not want to get that rough with the back axel during installation. AutoZone will "rent" the tool for free so I got 2 and dropped both springs at the same time. It was a snap after that.

HTH T

Old 04-13-2006, 11:02 AM

hey TkellerXIT I have the same problem on the 92 I mentioned at the top of this thread I was thinking the under spring shems would do it.I had a lot of experience on old GM stuff years ago shemming them up.but Im wondering If you can go a little higher to accomidate my over sized tires.I want to lift the front a little to match.and was thinking about tightening the torsion bar a little as I have done this on Gm trucks.what do you sugest I really dont want a body lift and am working on a budget. thanks DUCK

Old 04-17-2006, 03:02 PM

I have been real pleased with the 2 inch spacer (net 1 3/4 inch lift). The truck sits level and the rear axel tracks correctly. It is an inexpensive "fix" since you don't need to buy additional suspension items (shocks, etc). The '95 has 31's under it. I don't know what size tire you want when you say "over-sized". 31 x 10.5 x 15 are large enough for me.

If you want to see how your 4Runner would look with the 2 inch kit I suggest getting some short 2x4's (foot long) and driving the rear tires up on them. If you want more lift then start saving your pennies and do it right with a kit.

Just getting the "sag" out of the back really makes the truck look great and the back doesn't bottom out on minor bumps anymore.

My .02 T

Old 04-28-2006, 04:39 PM

I have a 93 4-Runner and i bought a set of springs from ARB. They have 3 different sets stock, 0-gvw lbs &1.5", and 0-330 lbs&2" I have the mid range set OME 900 (i wanted heavy duty but its my wifes daily driverso she wanted the softer ride) any ways i aame very happy with the new springs. I have hade them on for a year now and woulnt change a thing. You can order them from your local 4X4 store they might be called "old man emu" you can look on line to see what i am talking about

Old 04-19-2012, 09:32 AM
Default 4runner suspension

Hi,

These posts all look pretty old but I was wondering how things worked out with the spacers. I was thinking about getting a cheap spacer kit/ maybe some new complete strut assemblies for my 4 runner but I am worried about changing the suspension angle.

Have you guys had good results or bad results with lifting your car this way?

Thanks,

MCross