New Member Area Are you new to 4 Runner Forum?? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

Information Please!

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2007, 05:31 AM
Default Information Please!

I joined the British Army in 1981 and learned to drive on a landrover 1/2 tonner. A brilliant vehicle indeed! I went to Germany and was assigned to a 1/4 tonne Air Portable Landrover which was a brilliant vehicle. It would go anywhere, carrying anything and I mean in the middle of the winter, -30 in deep snow towing a trailer. brilliant!

However, in 2000, I was part of the UN police in Kosovo and we all had 4Runners. Now, I have to admit, this was a nice vehicle! The Landrover was capable but austire to say the least. The 4Runner had it all. It was a comfortable vehicle to travel around in, carried all my patrol kit and with the right tyres, would go anywhere in the horrible -40 environment. In the +40 summers, it had good A/C and basically, was a nice luxury version of the Lanny. On one occasion, I even used it to rescue a farmer who was stuck in his tractor and pulled him out with my 4Runner!

So, where is the point of this? Well, I am moving to Canada and want to buy one for myself. Not the new Jeep lookalike, but the type I had in Kosovo. BUT, mine was a manual diesel and quite basic. It worked for me. I want a similar one, but here, they are available in so many engine sizes and specs. As I travel around, I see loads of them about!

So, what do I look for? Petrol or Diesel? What size engine? What spec? What to avoid? Anyone? Help??

Thanks!

Jinkersho!

Old 01-15-2007, 06:10 PM
Default RE: Information Please!

Welcome. Ican't think of asmart *** comment for this one rofl.
You probably are not going to find a diesel model here. You can get 4, 6, and 8 cylinders and a few of the older ones have a turbo.

I can tell you more if you answer a few questions.
What year model were you driving?
Do you want great gas mileage?
Do you want lots of power?
How much do you want to modify it?

Old 01-25-2007, 05:43 AM
Default RE: Information Please!

Thanks for response. Diesel isn't really an issue. They are the most common engine here in Europe but I guess gas is likewise in Canada. 6 Cylinder is probably a good compromise of power over efficiency although a good mpg is always appreciated. As for modifications, I don't think I would want to do too much to it save put a capable winch on the front. She has A/C for the summer and a good heater for the winter. I am not going to offroad it as such, just need a decent capability in the winter should it come to it. The only thing I think I would prefer would be that it is a manual shift instead of auto.

The model I was driving in Kosovo was a 99/00 model. Any further help appreciated. Thanks!