Tires What skins are you rollin' around on? Discuss wrapping your rims in here.

Highway All Season vs. All Terrain

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2006, 08:06 PM
Super Moderator
Default Highway All Season vs. All Terrain

Hello, anybody there? I seem to be having trouble getting responses to my posts. Is there something I should know?

I badly need to replace the tires on my 2005 4Runner that I bought second hand in February. I would kinda like to go to an all terrain tire but everything official that I have found from Toyota indicates that they do not recommend changing from the tyoe/size tire that came on the truck. Have any of you encountered problems with Toyota because you have changed to all terrain tires?

If I can go to all terrain, I would like a tire that has the least negative effect with regard to noise, power and fuel economy. Currently, I am considering BFG TA KOs, Bridgestone Dueler Revos and perhaps s tire from Michelin, though I can't figure which one. Like most, 90% of our driving is on pavement. However, we do a lot of camping and fishing that requires driving on dirt, gravel and forest service roads. Also, we tow a travel trailer and we spend a lot of time in southern Colorado during the winter, so snow performance is important.

I sure would appreciate some feed back from some of you on these issues; they are driving me nuts!

WB

Old 08-25-2006, 12:34 AM
Default RE: Highway All Season vs. All Terrain

Hey there, no response from my post either. Maybe no one knows.

how ever, I did just recently purchase some different (new) tires for my 93 4 runnner (automatic) I went from the stock size to a more agressive all terrain tire. I chose an off brand made by good year called 'winner' they were inexpensive and have a 40k tread warranty and life time on defects within tread life. ( think four mounted and balanced ran be about 362)

You have to note however with the 'better look' and nicer ride height, you lose some on the milage. Although with my current possible knock sensor (my post) problem, the tires may not have much to do about the loss of mileage. The tires are very quiet compared to a used set of side winders that I had tried for a couple of weeks on the truck. Over all I am very pleased with the tires. Check with a good year retailer

Old 09-11-2006, 06:02 PM
Default RE: Highway All Season vs. All Terrain

i got a '03 on revos and love them. fat and juicy for all season. thread wear is good . check out tirerack for specs. i must say you'll have to rotate them regularly to reduce wear up front. also i noticed they feel and probably are heavier than the dunlop stock. the manufacturer says 32 psi on all sets but the front tires keep making that slapping sound and it feels like it needs more air. does anyone has the same problem?