Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

1997 4runner bad oxygen sensor, and squealing noises, HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 09:13 PM
Exclamation 1997 4runner bad oxygen sensor, and squealing noises, HELP!

I drive a 1997 Toyota 4runner, I'm a teen girl and it's my first vehicle, I love my baby but I'm having some problems and I need some insight! My check engine light came on and when I read the code it said something about my oxygen sensor. Now I need to know what I should do, and how long can I drive it before I fix it? Because I have to get to work and school every day.

Also, when I cut my wheel all the way (usually pulling out of my garage or a parking spot) I squeals loudly.

Anddd lastly, when it's cold and I start it up, my engine makes this squeaking sound (if you know what a kids barbie car sounds like, that's the noise it makes) when I drive and brake. Plus, my wheel almost becomes hard to turn.

what's going on!!

Someone PLEASEE HELPP I'm desperate!

Old 01-21-2010, 12:51 PM
Super Moderator

Glad you like your 4Runner. Here's the info I have on your issues:

1) O2 Sensor - you can run as long as you want with a bad sensor provided you understand that your engine will be slightly out of tune with it. You may notice your engine running rougher and your gas mileage will decrease.
The fix for this is to replace your O2 sensor. Read the code again and find out if it's the front or back O2 sensor. You can buy the new sensor online or at your local auto parts store. When you buy your new one there will be 2 options - Universal or OEM. The Universal ones don't have the easy plastic connectors and have to be spliced onto your wiring (I hate these). I always spend the extra $20 and buy an OEM model.

2) Steering Squeal - This is most likely your steering pump. Check the fluid level to start with and also check the condition of your steering belt. If neither of those look bad you can try lubricating the belt but this is a band aid fix at best. When I've had this type of sound before it's been the bearings in my steering pump and I needed to replace the pump.

3) Cold conditions - This could be any number of things, the cold really affects the cars in many ways. You mention though that the wheel is hard to turn and this would probably align with your earlier mentioned issue which I bet is the steering pump.

Good luck - if you want more detailed instructions on doing some of this work try Yotatech.com