Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Engine and Tranny ???

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2006, 12:30 PM
Default Engine and Tranny ???

Hello All,

I'm new to the forum and to the 4Runner world. I just purchased a 1991 4Runner with a V6 and an automatic tranny, for beating around in the snow and just for fun. It has over 190,000 miles on it. I've been working on it for a couple of months trying to get it running a little smoother. So here go a couple of questions.

1. Does the V6 have a PCV Valve and where is it located? I think I have a small vacuum issue and that is always a good starting point, but I can't locate the thing.

2. Also, my transmission doesn't seem to want to downshift out of overdrive at highway speeds, the RPMS at pushing between 3,500 and 3,900 at 70 MPH. Is this normal??? Any suggestions on what to do? If I'm very light on the gas on a flat road it will downshift out of overdrive into drive. But once I have to press the pedal down to keep my speed going up a hill, it shifts into overdrive and stays.

Thanks in advance to all for any light you can shed on my questions. I look forward to spending some more time here on the forum.

Drew

Old 12-13-2006, 11:19 PM
Default RE: Engine and Tranny ???

My First Post:

I just bought my first 4runner. '92 with same issue?

I think you mean it won't shift into overdrive. The overdrive is a gear that allows the engine to run at a lower rpm at higher speeds such as the highway.

My 4runner will stay at high RPM until I baby it by really letting off the gas and slowing down below the speed limit.

I plan on a transmission fluid and filter change this weekend. Hoping it helps. I plan on researching this in more detail. I ordered 1990 factory manuals from Amazon and a bought factory CD on Ebay. And I have a Haynes.

If anybody can tell me what to look out for in the tranny that might fix this I would appreciate it.

Old 12-22-2006, 08:47 PM

I determined according to the Toyota factory manual that the transmission temp must be over 122 degrees F and the throttle less than 86% open to downshift into overdrive.

This may clear up any confusion.

Old 01-30-2007, 03:59 PM

DREW,
just a few questions?
1) How does the ATF Fluid Look and smell? Bright red and clean smelling? OR brown and burnt smelling?
2) DOES your runner shift smoothly or harshly?

NOTE: If "brown and burnt" and "harsh shifting"the trans may have been overheated/neglected. ANDlikelyyour trans my friend is on "borrowed time".....You should mentally prepair for andstart saving for a new/repaired trans.