Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Longevity

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 08:00 PM
Default Longevity

Hello,

I'm new to this forum and I'm seeking thoughts on maintenance items for any 4Runners with 170k+ miles. I've put a lot into my truck over the past year and would like to know whether I can expect any big ticket items in the near future. I have detailed my recent repairs below.

I own a 2004 SR5 with a bit over 175k miles. I received the truck my freshman year of college (6 years ago)with 115k miles. The majority of the miles were driven while I was in school. My current driving requirements are relatively low. It has been a great truck, but I've spent quite a bit of money lately and I want to know if I should expect much more. I want to state that I do not have extensive knowledge when it comes to vehicles and repairs.

Within the last year I have replaced:
-Battery
-Brakes
-Alternator
-Had throttle body cleaned (last week)
-Had tune up (new spark plugs)
-Had malfunctioning headlights/running lights repaired/replaced

-Will need new tires in approximately 6 months

Ever since the throttle body was cleaned it's driving better than it ever has. Issues I had with stalling while idling have been resolved and the truck feels like it has much more power to it.

Now that my truck is driving better I would like to hang on to it but if more maintenance is coming in the foreseeable future, I would rather get maximum value for my trade in. Any thoughts on what I can expect coming up?

Any thoughts are welcomed. I appreciate your input.

Old 02-13-2014, 08:08 AM
Default Mainenance items

You've got a 4th gen, I've got a 3rd gen. Different yet similar. You have no timing belt, woohoo for you! Well of course keep up with regular oil/filter changes (i like shell's rotella t6 5-40 full synth w/wix filters) every 5k miles. lube the chassis, drain/fill your tranny, might do same with power steering fluid and brake fluid (if over 2 yrs since - helps keep from rusting inside lines). To prevent and improve the starting, idleing (shutting down in your case) issue at each fuel up put in 1oz for Startron (read up on it here: http://mystarbrite.com/startron/). This is the GREATEST stuff, try it. Some folks still like to do a seafoam treatment to clean uppper engine, startron will do that also, just the the instructions on the bottle. Seafoam can also be added to oil at any point to help decarbon its guts. I find it at walmart's marine section and much cheaper on a larger bottle at my local lawn mower shop. oh yeah don't forget to check condition of your drive belt(s). Other than that you know these are super long lasting machines, heard of many going 400k w/out major engine work.