Keep my 2002, or get a new Limited?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2015, 08:45 PM
Default Keep my 2002, or get a new Limited?

Hey everyone!

I haven't posted much on here, but that's mostly because my 2002 4Runner SR5 4WD has been awesome. It currently has about 286,000 miles. I've done regular maintenance, so everything has been running great with the exception of the transmission. I had to have that rebuilt at about 220,000 miles; I think that was my fault since I often shifted out of overdrive (and sometimes into 2) for long downhill sections at too high of speeds since the brakes are kinda weak. The original brake pads lasted to 250,000 miles, but I'm thinking I should've used my brakes more to have kept my transmission in good shape. Oops.

Anyway, I have a tendency to do long road trips -- this 4Runner has been from California to Alaska four times so far. I'm looking to do another long trip (4 - 6 months on the road), mostly up north again.

The last time I did a 6-month road trip, I had to have the radiator replaced while I was on the road. That wasn't a big deal, but I had to pay to have it done since I was nowhere close to home (I prefer to do simple stuff like that myself).

With that, I don't want problems on the road this time. I'm tempted to get a 2015 4Runner Limited 4WD before this next trip, but I wonder if that's being too cautious. After all, my current 4Runner is running fine (of course, maybe that's the best time to trade it in).

My question for 3rd gen owners: What should I expect to have problems with at this mileage?

I just had the timing belt and water pump changed two years ago, so that should be good for a while. I replaced the head gasket and cleaned the throttle body around the same time. The tires have plenty of life on them. The steering rack bushings were replaced recently. Shocks/struts were replaced prematurely at around 180,000 miles. The brake pads should be good until 500,000 miles. All fluids have been synthetic and changed at fairly good intervals (sometimes 10,000 miles between oil changes).

Should I do some kind of "preventative" maintenance now to get it through another 30,000 miles with no troubles on the road? Maybe replace the alternator, starter, etc.?

Or go for the shiny new Limited?

Thanks in advance for all opinions, advice, and commentary!

Old 09-23-2015, 09:42 AM

To be honest,do what you think is the right for you. What you feel is right. I know it is not a greate advice but anyway)