Exterior Talk about your rims, body kits, and other exterior mods here.

04 4runner front struts problem.

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 02:26 AM
Default 04 4runner front struts problem.

I am a big fan of Toyota products. Mainly because of its quality. Ok~! Here comes the big disappointment[&:]. During my routineservice formy carlast week, my service adviser told me I have front struts issues (oil leak from the struts)and they need to be replaced. $ 680 would solve the problem. I have no idea what struts are. My questions are "What would cause struts to break and what is going to happen if I do not replace immediately?"

I need some advice from experts.

Thanks.

Old 02-10-2008, 11:42 AM
Default RE: 04 4runner front struts problem.

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! not at you but that price tag.

Ok struts just make the transition of bumps smoother, to put it in easy terms. The coils/springs handle the weight and all that, but they dont have control so they use a strut to make it smoother.

Front struts from NAPA or any place like that will cost you $108 a POP and you only need 2. I just looked up NAPA and thats the exact price for your model.

Installation is almost as easy as checking the oil dipstick. Nah but at a decent garage it will be at MOST 2hrs worth of labor, even though its not 2 hrs worth of work. So that depends on where you are in the US and what garage. So to NAPA get them and ask them to put them on, or a garage like that, since you didnt know what struts were then its a safe bet you dont know how to change them.

Also leaking is not a big deal, people ride around on leaking and BLOWN struts all the time and difference in ride is so slight depending on what your doing with the vehicle.

Save up a couple buck and maybe get a shop manual and do it when you have time.

*EDIT* Cause them to break, most of the time driving in salts alot, beach, dirt, etc... not keeping your vehicle clean and lubed.

Old 04-04-2008, 04:08 PM
Default RE: 04 4runner front struts problem.

Do you have XREAS? If you're out of the warranty, change the struts to Rancho. They have stock replacment with 9-way adjustability. Will work better then XREAS (have them on the back and love the ride)