2005 Sport 4Runner with 33 inch tires wants to recalibrate speed sensor

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2006, 02:45 PM
Default 2005 Sport 4Runner with 33 inch tires wants to recalibrate speed sensor

I have just lifted my 2005 Sport 4Runner 4.7L V8 4 1/2 inches {3" Cornfed suspension and a 4Crawler 1 1/2" body} and installed BFG 285/70/17's on Incubus 17x9" rims. The speedo is now "off" by approx 7%. I now would like my ECM to know what speed that I am REALLY traveling for purposes including but not limited to: speedpmeter accuracy, odometer accuracy, mileage computer accuracy, transmission shift points, fuel/air mixture, anti lock braking {I am not sure but this may have its own input from each wheel independent of the speed sensor}, skid control, etc. The only mods that I can find are UNI CHIP's, and it is priciy at $900 but makes for all kinds of tweeking ability and Dakato Digital has a device for $79 that installs bewtween the speed sensor and ECM that just changes signal through the setting of dip switches. No one else covers the new in 2005 4.7L V8.

My questions are these if anyone is good enough to have some info:

1. Where is the speed sensor on a 2005 with a 4.7L and what color wires control what?

2. Does the speedo being "off" effect anti-skid and AVS or do they get there inputs somewhere else like at each wheel and would that info be accurate with the larger tires if it is taken at each wheel?

3. Is there any other devices on the market that will cure this issue?

4. Has any one installed the Unichip device anf is it worth the money?

Thanks in advance and I would like to publicly thank Jason at BURTMAN INDUSTRIES 928-252-6199 - THIS GUY GOES OUT OF HIS WAY BIG TIME TO HELP YOU. He sold me what I needed to make it happen plus was full of information regaurding lifting my TOY and ALWAYS answered my calls. Cornfed is also great help in the suspension arena. I think everyone knows Rodger at 4Crawler, great help.

Old 03-22-2007, 10:23 PM
Default RE: 2005 Sport 4Runner with 33 inch tires wants to recalibrate speed sensor

What up man. To answer you 1st question the ECM gets signals from wheel speed sensors on each wheel, mounted on the knuckles above the hub. If you drive a automatic theres probly a couple on the trans somewhere too. Cant tell you what colors though.

2.) It shouldnt effect you ABS and/or tracs if you got it. The system is still operational because nothing has failed. If you have a diff lock the should still work too. The sensors are still reading everything it just sees everything is moving at a slower speed, or it might be faster speed. Sorry got confused. (say the speedo says 75 your really doing 70 or visa versa) Not tryin to confuse you.

3.) The dealer might have software that they could install to fix that, or mabey a aftermarket tuner. Other then that and if this chip thing you talk about is legit is really the only way to fix this, because everything now adays relies on the sensors and computer you gotta reprogram somthin. Hope I could help you out man.