V8 Pathfinder vs V8 4Runner

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 03:11 PM
Default V8 Pathfinder vs V8 4Runner

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum and I will be purchasing a new SUV soon. I've narrowed my choices between the Nissan Pathfinder V8 LE and the Toyota 4Runner V8 Limited - both 2008 Canadian models. I tow a 4000 lb trailer 5-6 times a year and both vehicles will be able to pull this size trailer fine.I do not do any hardcore off-roading anymore. Wehavejust started asmall family for now - one baby girland a 70lb Yellow Lab that comes camping with us. I'm trying to decide which of these two vehicles to purchase. They are both about the same price with the 4Runner being slightly more - not a deal breaker though. Below are some of the differences between the two. I hope you can provide some of your opinions.

Nissan Pathfinder:
- has a larger engine (5.6L vs 4.7L) than the 4Runner that puts out 310HP vs 260HP and 388 ft*lbs of torque vs 306 ft*lbs. Both HP and Torque ratings are at very similar engine RPM's.
- has 7" Color Information Monitor that displays audio, HVAC, mileage, rear-view camera and Tire Pressure Monitor Sytems (shows the actual tire pressure in each tire). CDN 4Runners do not have the large info display. Just the seperate radio display and HVAC display.
-I will get therear DVD player option(the CDN 4Runners do nothave DVD nor Navigation as factory options)
- has a heated steering wheel for those cold Canadian winters
- has an all-mode 4WD system. Basically has 2WD, AUTO, 4Hi and 4Low
- power adjustable pedals with memory setting
- rear HVAC controls that can be controlled by rear seat passengers or by the driver
- has real cup holders in the front as apposed to the 4Runner's adjustable cup "tray"
- has both switched and un-switched 12V outlets in the front
- has a very appealing fake wood-trimmed center console with nice audio and HVAC controls. I'm not too sure if I can live with seeing the 4Runner's "ugly" HVAC joysticks everyday.
- has 3-rows of seating for the un-expected. The CDN 4Runner doesn't have the 3rd row.
- has a larger cargo area behind 2nd row (49 cu*ft vs 42 cu*ft) and behind the front row (79 cu*ft vs 75 cu*ft)
- has a slightly larger wheelbase (2")
- last model revamp was 2005 vs 2003 for the 4Runner
- first year with the V8 in the Pathfinder. Engine taken from the Titan and Armada.

Toyota 4Runner:
- well it's a Toyota and has a lengendary 4.7L engine
- better overall ride and smoother engine
- less engine noise under acceleration
- rear ride height control. Useful as I will be using this feature for towing.
- DAC and HAC. I don't see myself using these features as I don't go extreme off-roading.
- better fuel consumption...smaller engine...go figure?
- those ugly HVAC controls...am I the only one that hates these?
- I can't see the HVAC displaywell under daylight
- two-tier cargo tray is a nice feature
- illuminated running baords
- telescopic steering wheel
- 115VAC outlet in center console
- tiny buttons on the HVAC display must have been taken from an '86 Corolla
- the flip-out storage behind the cup "tray" is thin and doesn't appear to be of Toyota quality. At first, I thought that this item was actually a piece of trim that was falling off.

I would like to purchase the 4Runner because it's a nicer ride and it will have a better estimated reliability, but I find myself trying to find reasons to. The interior and convenience items aren't what I would expect from a vehicle this price. I hope some of you4Runner V8 Limited owners can provide me with some reasons why I should choose this vehicle over the Nissan Pathfinder V8 LE. I've asked a couple of salesmen during my test drives whi I should by the 4Runner over the Pathfinder and they both told me that the 4Runnergets better gas mileage and it's a Toyota...hmmn...didn't mention anything else. Am I missing something???

Looking for your help...

Old 02-17-2008, 03:42 PM
Default RE: V8 Pathfinder vs V8 4Runner

This is a 4runner forum, of course the 4-runner is better. HEHE

I would go Toyota, just because I have had them for a long time and will always keep buying. Im not a Nissan fan,a buddy tried to make me a great deal on with leather and all that ****e, NO THANKS. I dont care how good a deal, I dont want to deal with Nissan.