New Member Area Are you new to 4 Runner Forum?? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

Which 4Runner should I get?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2006, 04:34 AM
Default Which 4Runner should I get?

Right now I'm driving an Escape Limited... I hate it. I could go into a long list of complaints, but I save you the bother. HOWEVER... I'm very interested in the 4Runner. My lease is up in April '06, and I really need to figure out what I'm doing. Soon.

And so. I love the look of the Sport Ed. I live in Michigan. I don't have anything to tow now, but may in the distant future. 4X4 V6? Is the acceleration there with the V6? DO I need the V8 if I'm not towing anything large?

This will be my first new vehicle ever that's off-brand from Ford (father-in-law sells them). I'm very excited, but concerned. Not that Ford has ANYTHING I want, but I've always had a personal sales person looking out for my best interests.

Mu husband doesn't care what I drive, son can anyone help me out here? Thanks much!

Old 01-23-2006, 06:31 AM
Default RE: Which 4Runner should I get?

Well, you could get by with a V6, but the dealers are giving a lot of breaks on the V8 right now due to the gas situation. The MPG's are only rated by a 1 MPG difference between the two motors. I have the V8 and I personally get 19.6 miles per gallon which I think is great for a V8. I don't tow anything right now either, but the extra power that the V8 delivers is nice to have when I need it. Also, the V8 accelerates a lot smoother and quieter than the V6. I kind of wish that I had gotten the Full Time 4WD that comes with the V8 if you get 4WD, but I had a Toyota pickup that had 4WD and I never used it and the 4WD option runs about $4000, so I passed on that. I traded in my '02 4Runner Limited for an '05 SE which had everything that I needed and I like the hood scoop. I do however, miss some of the extra bells and whistles that my '02 Limited had like the heated seats and the seperate passenger and rear climate controls, the seat heaters and the leather. They put some of that into the SE for '06, but my '05 SE fully loaded with some extras as well ran me $30K, the Limited is over $40K. I could not justify the benefits over the price difference for the Limited. I stay away from leases like the plague. Leases are for business write-offs, people who buy new cars often and people who want more car than they can afford. I found leasing to be a huge wasted expense at the end.

Old 02-08-2006, 02:45 PM
Default RE: Which 4Runner should I get?

In Michigan, you will love the 4-runner. Coming from a Ford, you will see a difference right away! The Escape is a much louder SUV and as with you I can go on and on. I have a V8 and wouldn't trade it in, though it is more $$ if you don't need it. The 4wd option works perfectly...I grew up in Northern Ohio and travel back to there often, and also to my parent's 2nd place at Higgins Lake, MI...never scarred to travel in the winters with this SUV. The MPG difference between V6 & V8 is nothing worthwhile...maybe 1. I get about 18mpg with mine, I like to use the gas pedal as much as possible. I love my 4-Runner and would suggest getting one...then show it off to your "Ford Salesman!!!!"