General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

03 4Runner Lights

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 07:13 PM
Default 03 4Runner Lights

Hi All,

The lights for VSC Trac, Trac Off, Brake & Engine are lit. I turned off the engine and back on. All lights remain lit except for Engine light. After driving a minute or so the engine light is now lit. So i took it to Autozone to run a check but when i get there, the engine light won't lit so they can't get a readout of the error out. VSC Trac, Trac Off and Brake lights are still on. I checked the gas cap and it's tight, any suggestions on what could be causing these lights or how to get the error code read without the engine light lit? Also forgot to mention that ABS light is also lit.
Thanks!

Last edited by hiwasss; 07-20-2010 at 07:58 PM.
Old 07-20-2010, 08:36 PM

I have no experience with 4th gen 4runners but if it's the same as the 3rd gens when you have a check engine light come on, all the lights come on. I'm not sure if it's a, get your attention tactic or scare tactic to make you run to the dealer but it's normal. Just because the CEL is not on when you get to Autozone or wherever to get it read, the code should be stored so it should still come up. I've hooked up code readers to my Dodge and had it give me a code even though I never had a CEL yet.

Old 07-21-2010, 04:27 PM

Took it to repair shop and the code came up as bad vehicle speed sensor. he tested a couple of things but don't think the VSS is bad. I forgot to mention that the odometer is not working.

Old 07-21-2010, 05:39 PM

the repair shop tested the relay and circuit, both came back fine. he said it wasn't getting power to the wheel speed sensor.

Old 07-23-2010, 02:33 PM

took it dealer and they said the ABS computer needs to be replaced. it's around $1500 for the part and another $200 for labor. i asked him whether there will be any ill effect if i just leave the bad abs computer alone and he said it would damage other computers (beside not get ABS brake). Is this the case that i do have to replace the abs computer so that the other computers won't get damaged?

Old 07-23-2010, 05:58 PM

Honestly I have no idea if that's the problem. I would however suggest you get a second, or third in your case, opinion before spending close to $2000! That sounds ridiculous to me. Maybe you should find your nearest junkyard and get one out of another 4runner. Would be a lot cheaper than 2K! I doubt that it would mess up other computers on your truck but with the CEL lights on you will not pass smog/inspection checks. So, since your ABS computer is supposedly dead,I take it you can lock up your brakes? If your brakes do not lock up it would mean your ABS is still working...

Old 09-14-2010, 09:58 AM
Default Check Engine and VSC Trac lights are on, had it checked @ toyota dealership

This began for me about 3 weeks ago. My oil was a little low so I added the recommended kind and was planning on getting my oil changed, etc., since it was time. The Monday before I'd planned on going, I started the engine and those 2 lights came on and have stayed on without fail.

I checked the gas cap and do so routinely. I took it to the Toyota dealership for the needed oil change but also to talk about these lights. I'd researched and seen that I could take it to autozone or somewhere of the like and be given a vague idea of the problem area based on the codes they could pull. The Toyota guy, I'll say, talked me into letting them run the diagnostic since they have the computer and software for it and it would be specific, at a fee of $90.

I don't know the technical code that they received but they told me it indicated the problem was with my crank sensor. I've since read up and maybe it's called a crank position sensor. I researched the part and associated costs which are not high but I know they'll gauge me on the labor costs. I'd also read, before having the vehicle checked, that these lights sometimes point to the O2 sensor but they didn't mention that to me.

I'm in financial straights and am trying to get the most economic and reasonable but fair attention that I may for my vehicle. Any ideas?

Old 09-14-2010, 09:52 PM

I'd get the code cleared which will turn off the CEL and see if it comes back. It might just be a hiccup and it won't come back. For that $90 you could have bought your own code reader... just a thought. I'm not sure how much those sensors go for. I think it's around $75-100. The FSM just says to take off the skid plate and take out the sensor so it shouldn't be too hard to replace. I haven't done one though so....?

Old 11-29-2010, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by hiwasss
took it dealer and they said the ABS computer needs to be replaced. it's around $1500 for the part and another $200 for labor. i asked him whether there will be any ill hid light kits effect if i just leave the bad abs computer alone and he said it would damage other computers (beside not get ABS brake). Is this the case that i do have to replace the abs computer so that the other computers won't get damaged?

I dont understand how it would mess up the other computers. My advice would be to take it to another mechanic and get a free estimate as you are entitled to that everywhere you go. At least where I live. See what other mechanics say.