General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 4Runner veering to the right.

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2016, 12:58 AM
Default 2001 4Runner veering to the right.

Hello everybody. I recently purchased my first vehicle, that is capable of taking me into the deserts of Arizona. It's a 2001 4Runner sr5. I plan on adding on suspension and wheels/tires, but would like to get a problem solved first...if it's even a problem.

When I test drove the car, at the dealership, it would slightly drift to the right. I asked them to run an alignment, which they did. Told me that any issues were fixed and it was good to go. I drove off the lot, and noticed that it was still still drifting to the right. I called Firestone, reccomended by a buddy out here, and they said it was probably the crowned roads. So I took it on the freeway, middle lane, and it would still drift.

I went in and they said alignment was off, so they got it aligned. It now drove in a straight line...for between 100 to 200 yards, and would then start drifting right. And when I say drift, I mean once it begins, it would cut across lanes relatively fast. Not very gradually. At about 30 degrees.

They had checked the suspension and front end components for me, before aligning it, and said everything was nice and tight. My steering is responsive, and nothing is shaking or swaying.

It's never been in an accident, nothing is bent, service records since it was purchased in 01, and only one owner. 200k miles. No inky sounds. Runs smoothly. Dead on straight for 100-200 yards, and then veers right. No matter where I'm driving.

I've been reading forums, but havnt found answers specific to this. I find it awkward that it will drive straight for a while and then simply take to the right.

Can anybody give me some insight? I have 2 days if I want to return the vehicle. I don't want to return it, but I will if it's not looking like a simple fix. If this is normal,mthen I'm okay with it. It is my first SUV, so I am new to all of this.