General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Beat up 1990 4Runner

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 11:15 PM
Default Beat up 1990 4Runner

Hey all! I've got my hands on a 1990 4Runner that's been driven around for about 3000 miles with NO air filter. The thing has been sucking down dirty air for a long time and I'm worried about what it might have done to the intake system. It's a V6 EFI and I was wondering what you guys would suggest I do to take care of it. It's idling rough and I'm positive it's dirt. Any suggestions?

Also, the gauges on the left side of the instrument cluster don't work. The tach, volt meter and oil pressure gauge simply don't function. But the speedo, temp gauge and gas gauge on the right of the cluster work fine. I checked the fuses and they're all perfectly good. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Old 03-11-2008, 02:39 AM
Default RE: Beat up 1990 4Runner

3000miles on road or off road? If its mostly on road, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Unless you are leaving a cloud of whitish-blue smoke when you step on the gas. That's real expensive to fix.

Stiil, I'd take apart the air intake system as much as you can and give the components' inner surfacesa good wipedown with a damp cloth.

As far as the rough idle goes, is this after you've replaced the air filter? Because if this is before you replaced the filter, it could just be the ECU not compensating for the larger volume of air at idle. I know when I replaced the OEM airbox on my 22RE with a KN big filter, the idle became very rough but once the revs are up the problem goes away. I read somewhere there is some way to trick the ECU into making a smooth idle even with big air, but I forget where and quite frankly the rough idledoesn't bother me.

I guess you could try cleaning the MAF or MAS whatever is in the system. I believe they make a spray that doesthis.

A rough idle might also be caused by clogged injectors. Wouldn't hurt to put Sea Foam in the gas tank. Cheap at $7 a can and it really cleans out your fuel system. And you should have enought Sea Foam left over to treat the oil as well.

Sea Foam can also be fed into directly into the intake manifold(IIRC) to really clean your engine out. I've never done it, but I gather the results are a lot of smoke and a really clean engine. A quick Google search oughta yield some goodhits about the procedure.