General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Check Engine / VSC TRAC / TRAC OFF lights all on...

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 07:07 PM
Default Check Engine / VSC TRAC / TRAC OFF lights all on...

Need your advice!!

I own a 2003 4RUNNER SPORT EDITION w/ 105,000 miles. Everything was running fine up until last week. The Check Engine / VSC TRAC and TRAC OFF lights came on. I took it to the auto shop and the mechanic told me the following code came up:

P0430: Catalyst System Efficiency below Threshold "Bank 20" (This is what I understood the report to say) He reset my switches and said I probably would have to replace my catalytic converters at around $1000 each!!!!Are they really that much?? I tried to some research online on costs but didnt find anything. According to the mechanic he said Toyota had to special order them. My truck seems to be running fine.

I did accidentally forget to completely tighten my gas cap last on my road trip last week - Could this have been the cause?? Would it do that much damage to the catalytic converter they they both need to be replaced?? He did say that the damage may have been caused by using the 87 octane gasoline and he suggested I use 92; but with gas prices where there at now....YIKES!

Another thing is that about a month and a half ago I did add a K & N air intake.

Oh yeah 1 more question -It seems that everytime there is a "wet" morning the belt of my car squeaks really loud but shortly after the noise dissapates. Any suggestions on how to fix this?? I've heard conflicting solutions.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 01-04-2008, 10:54 PM
Default RE: Check Engine / VSC TRAC / TRAC OFF lights all on...

I'm having a similar problemi alsohave a 2003 sport 4L w/60,000KM on it my fan belt makes loud noises whenever i take it through a car wash, that washes the undercariage, then goes away after everything dries sometime days later. My VSC TRAC/TRAC OFF lights come on when i first start the truck (morning)and it is -20C outside but i just turn it off and restart it and everything is fine. I haven't had any time to take it to the mechanic to get it checked out. Who would think the converters cost $1000 EACH[&:]That is highway robbery. If i get to the shop i will post what they tell me.

Old 01-04-2008, 11:02 PM

$1000 from Toyota, wouldnt doubt it. Aftermarket probably about $250 a pop.

Aftermarket much cheaper and the same, you can get sports types too that will last longer.

OK BIG QUESTION is the code hard, meaning does it come back or is it cleared and didnt come back?

Old 01-05-2008, 12:26 AM

The only converters I did find was at the following site (around $300.00) , but unfortunately are NOT CALIFORNIA emission certified.

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/se...p;N=4294967264

Those were the only 2003 4Runner catalytic converts I could find online.

Its only been a couple days since the mechanic reset the switch, Im hoping they dont come back on. I guess Ill just have to wait and see.

Any suggestions on the squeaky belt?? Ive heard everything from spraying WD-40 on them to just leaving it be......

Old 01-05-2008, 08:13 AM

Do not use WD-40 on anything. Use Silicon spray.

Thats good the code didnt come back, probably a fluke.

Seriously man, just about 99.99% of ALL aftermarket equipment says "not for use in California" Although alot of states have the same emissions testing that California says. Its really a joke, an air intake will say it,exhaust systems etc............................. Car companies do this and also the "FOR OFF ROAD USE ONLY" all this is man is to keep the car companies out of trouble.

I would say since the light is off, search it some more, im willing to bet someone has put an aftermarket cat on their runner. Granted I doubt this is the problem, codes arent always 100%, but I would run it a little, put some SUPER unleaded in it and take it for a nice highway drive and blow the build-up out of it. You can always mod the current CAT too (tell you about that later)