General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Diagnostic Trouble Codes

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 08:12 PM
Default Diagnostic Trouble Codes

Hello to all. I'm brand spankin' new to this forum. I'll be needing to do some work on a friends 97' 4Runner so I thought I'd sign up and see if I can get some help from you good folks.

To start with I was wondering if someone could describe (in detail) or point me to a thread that describes how to jump/use the built in Diagnostic Terminal in the engine compartmernt. I'm familiar with how to do it on my Honda Accord but this looks entirely different. I'm hoping I can use a paper clip or something similar like I do on the Honda. But since the one on the 4Runner looks so different I am hoping that someone can give me detailed instructions on which terminal(s) or bank to use. Then of course a place to find a list of the codes would be most helpful.

If you need to know details of the 4Runner all I know at this point is that it is a 97' "Limited" edition. It's got a 3.4 liter engine. It's auotmatic. Anything else that would be helpful? As far as what's wrong...well, there's a couple things I'm checking out. The first is that it takes anywhere from 1 to 3 attempts to start up. That is to say, when you turn the key you can here a click under the hood like a solenoid or something trying to engage. Not the starter motor itself...it sounds just fine. After a couple attempts it cranks right over and runs great. This just started happening a couple weeks ago and seems to be a bit more frequent now but still very hit and miss. Many times it will start right up on the 1st attempt. Until I heard the clicking (when it won't start up) I thought maybe a clogged fuel filter or something. Any guesses?

Thank you very much for any help in advance.

Old 03-22-2007, 02:56 AM
Default RE: Diagnostic Trouble Codes

The diagnostic connector under the hood will not help you. You need a scan tool to plug into dlc3 that is located under the driver side dash. Hence you cannot retrieve trouble codes w/out the tool.
The clicking you are hearing is the starter solenoid. this is caused by wear on the primary contact. You can replace just the contact w/ would entail you disassembling the starter. Best bet is too replace the starter.

Old 03-22-2007, 09:23 AM

Thank you for the reply. That sounds just about right to me as far as the sound I'm hearing and the way it's acting when attempting to start. So, just to be straight on this. The diagnostic connector under the hood is not one like in my sons Volvo where you use the built in pin? And, are you saying I can't jump the one under the dash like I do my Honda? Thought I read somewhere that you could. I must have mis-read. Oh well...

Thanks
Olias

Old 04-05-2007, 01:38 PM

I've owned 2 4runners,a 97 and 00, and both had their diagnostic connector under the dash@ the steering wheel. Good Luck!