General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

hard starting

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2007, 12:39 PM
Default hard starting

Greetings. New to forum with a 2001 4Runner SR5/auto. This is the "Boss's" vehicle in every way....she researched it, compared it and picked it out, and it has given us nearly trouble-free service. Now, with 104K mi, it has decided it wants to balk on start up....will try to catch and then die. After that, it takes 2 or more cycles of cranking to the edge before it will fire: as in "don't crank it longer than X seconds to avoid overheating the starter". Once it starts, it runs fine. Service and maintainance are kept up with at a near **** pace, including the timing belt.
I'm an old street rodder (my first car, and first love: a '65 Mustang 2+2 *a "fastback" for you non-'stang guys*) so I know the basics of "fuel, air, fire", but without the diagnostic equipment, I'm lost on the electronic complications on this one.

Anyone else run into this? ECU? O2 sensor? Coil packs? I'm thinking it's not going to be the fuel pump or filter, because it runs fine once it starts.

Any thoughts will be appreciated. Thanks

Old 02-25-2007, 05:02 AM
Default RE: hard starting

Sounds electrical. You don't have any problem turning the engine over with the starter, correct? I'd run a resistance check on the plug wires and check the plugs.

Old 02-26-2007, 10:51 PM

Thanks for the response. Had the codes read, no code showing. No, no problems with turning the engine....normal cranking speed. I'm leaning toward a fuel delivery problem, but so far, no repeat of symptons. Will post anything new as it occurs.

Old 03-07-2007, 02:59 PM

Do you have a fuel trim value when the engine is idling that you can post ? Sounds likea lean condition which could be a result of low fuel pressure or most commonly --a dirty or faulty mass air flow sensor...

Old 10-28-2013, 10:23 PM
Super Moderator

Hey, what ever happened with your truck? I have a 2000 4Runner that's having the same problem. When the engine is warm it's hard to start. Will crank fine just won't fire. I've had it to my mechanic twice to read error codes and there aren't any. I'm suspecting an electrical problem in the ignition switch. Could use some help.

Old 11-02-2013, 05:32 AM

Now, with 104K mi, it has decided it wants to balk on start up....will try to catch and then die. After that, it takes 2 or more cycles of cranking to the edge before it will fire: as in "don't crank it longer than X seconds to avoid overheating the starter". Once it starts, it runs fine. Service and maintainance are kept up with at a near **** pace, including the timing belt.
I'm an old street rodder (my first car, and first love: a '65 Mustang 2+2 *a "fastback" for you non-'stang guys*) so I know the basics of "fuel, air, fire", but without the diagnostic equipment, I'm lost on the electronic complications on this one.

Anyone else run into this? ECU? O2 sensor? Coil packs?