New Member Area Are you new to 4 Runner Forum?? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

'05 moon roof issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2006, 11:45 AM
Default '05 moon roof issue

The first thing that I would like to say is that this is the best ride I have ever owned. Over the past 12 months, I went from a '97 4Runner, to an '02 Limited, (This one was particularly difficult to part with), but I traded it in for an '05 Sport V8 2WD last August. There was a service recall last November because the exhaust was giving off a strong ammonia smell that was going into the cabin. They got that all straghtened out, but now it's that darn moon roof. I'm on my 3rd replacement. The first one just stopped working and got stuck opened and the dealer replaced that one, but the second one leaked and I got to hear a loud whistling sound when it was closed while driving down the freeway so they replaced that one. Now this might not seem like a big deal to some, but on this one, when it is opened and I am driving down the freeway, the slider makes a constant vibrating sound from the headwind that sounds like a playing card bouncing off the spokes of a bicycle wheel. The dealer has been incredible in accommodating me on all my concerns and I will be turning my 4Runner in again next week to have them take a look at that during the next servicing schedule. That's the worst of it. Mechanically, this is the most sound vehicle I have ever owned although there was nothing wrong with the '02 that I had, but I wanted the V8 and I like the X-REAS suspension that is standard on the Sport Edition over the Limited although I would have liked to have the illuminated running boards and I miss the heated seat that my '02 had. No one could locate a Limited with the X-REAS suspension for me even though it's an available option in the brochure. And I like the hood scoop I just wished that it was functional. I was originally looking at Landcruisers, but I'm glad that I went smaller for daily use. I have to say that I am pretty much in love with this vehicle as I have already put 15,000 miles on it in the 5 months that I have had it and I enjoy the power the V8 delivers when I need it and at 19.5 miles to the gallon, I think that is exceptional mileage for a V8. I have found that it runs better and fuel economy is higher when I run it on premium gas.