Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

Wtf?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by debnova
These spammers CAN"T possibly know whether we have virus on our computer. I get them and did put them on the "ignore " list. But they will probably just change names. I hope they are not MALWARE, that was a big virus that I got when the "security tool" virus got me. It is insidious. Good news though, IF you get malware and use Microsoft, they will help you remove it for free. It's very hard to get rid of and even techies find it hard. Wouldn't this site be obligated to help with the security or spam? Not sure How, but they should, if possible. I'm afraid to go to the site via a search engine, might be mallware. IF it were a legitimate (and I use that loosely) co that sells virus protection, I'd report them, but it's probably mallware that you pay for and never get anything to help. Best to all, deb
Sometimes a legitimate web site gets its URL hijacked by 'phishers' who get you to click on the link, which then takes you to their phishing site, and after you have entered all the personal info they want, they deliver you back to the original site and no one is the wiser. The scammers have the info they wanted and you thought you were visiting a real web site to purchase something, or logging into your bank.

Some forums use different methods to screen out spammers, but ultimately we are each responsible for the protection of our own info.

Old 02-17-2010, 10:42 AM

this is called "fishing." they are looking for your response so they know they have good email addresses etc. They have have malware or viruses or any number of bad things if you go to their site. ignore them.

Old 02-18-2010, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by dsleggett
this is called "fishing." they are looking for your response so they know they have good email addresses etc. They have have malware or viruses or any number of bad things if you go to their site. ignore them.
Which is exactly why I haven't clicked on the link yet. But how do we stop the links from being sent to our email addresses. Can the mods or admin from the forum stop it from happening or is it just a matter of the whoever is doing it getting around the system somehow.

Old 02-18-2010, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by stingers
Which is exactly why I haven't clicked on the link yet. But how do we stop the links from being sent to our email addresses. Can the mods or admin from the forum stop it from happening or is it just a matter of the whoever is doing it getting around the system somehow.
Until it gets stopped, you could go into your User CP and turn off notifications for private messages, and delete them out of your PM account when they show up. Cheap fix, anyway.

...and come to think of it, I haven't had any for a while. Hmm...

Old 02-19-2010, 02:26 PM
Super Moderator

I jsut got an email from this site and I havent been here in years, and I am also somehow a mod now. Nice security this site has.

Old 02-19-2010, 07:15 PM
Default More choices on email pref-

I did go an "edit" my email preferences, also, I put the names that "phished" me on the "ignore list" which is in the edit column. I havn't had any emails notifying me of virus since I did the ignore list, perhaps those two names I stopped were the main ones or they got the message. Either way, it's good to have that stop!!! Best to all and doom to the virus and malware monsters.

Old 02-20-2010, 08:44 PM

I'm getting them too! It just goes straight to my spam folder, and I delete it.