General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

choosing a used Gen 1

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 05:38 PM
Default choosing a used Gen 1

Hi All,
Great site you have here.
Hopefully, I'll be OVERWHELMED with advice on my topic:
I've chosen to join the ranks of T4R (Gen 1) owners, and would like some advice on selecting one from the many on ebay and autotrader.
So far, I know that '84 and '85 had solid front axles, and '85 - '89 had IFS... and '85 - '89 had fuel injection- making the '85s (withsolid front axles AND fuel injection highly desirable for off roaders).
I've learned that the 22RE motor is very durable, and well-loved.
I've also learned that except for a few in the southwest U.S., they all seem to have rust- at leastabove the wheel wells.
I figure that I'd rather deal with someday having to rebuild the motor on a high-mileage, (nearly) rust-free truck than having to do bodywork on a rusty, low-mileage one (if it could even be found!)- so I'm focussing my search for a truck with the best exterior and interior condition possible- regardless of miles- as long as it drives well enough to make it back to Chicago.
Am I making too biga deal over wheel well rust? Is it easy enough to cut it out and cover it with fender flares? Is there another rust-prone area that I should be more concerned about?
What else do you experts think I should be looking for?
For example- if I'm planning to rebuild/ replace the motor someday anyway, would I be better off with a vehicle that originally came with a V6? (i.e. Were the transmissions/ differentials/ brakesinV6-equipped 4Runners better/ stronger than thosewith the 22RE?)Can a 22RE even mount to the V6's transmission?
What about the automatic transmissions? I realize they're not preferred for offroading- but are they objectively "bad"? I'd like my non-manual-driving wife to be able to drive my truck if she had to. Also, I generally assume that a 4Runner with an auto trans is less likely to have been abused.What do you think?
What about "SR5"? I assume this is an option package. Does anyone know what IS and IS NOT included on an SR5-equipped 4Runner?
How about the altimeter/inclinometer that I sometimes see on the dash? I assume these are really for "looks".Does anyone really use them? If these gauges were critical to you, wouldn't you prefer to rely on highly accurate aftermarket ones? Or does the presence of these gauges indicate some other, desirable options?
Finally, were later ones- like '89- more highly optioned? For some reason, I figure the '89s were usually "loaded".
I can't wait to hear from you.
Who know- maybe one of you will sell me my 4Runner!
Ben

Old 04-29-2007, 03:07 PM
Default RE: choosing a used Gen 1

Well at this time I have two one built in 86 one in 87 the are both titled as 87s You also want to check out the floor both sides in the front also up in the underside of the wheel wells another thing to check is the whole frame most important where the front of the rear spring attaches another thing is to check that the rear window works can be a real pain if it doesn`t

Just remember the 22rec in the 4runner is ok but if your looking for power go with the v6 I would go with the solid front axle if you are going for some serious off roading if not i don`t thing you really need it both mine are IFS

Hope this is a help feel free to ask more specific questions