New Member Area Are you new to 4 Runner Forum?? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

New to 4Runners but not Toyotas

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2007, 05:24 AM
Default New to 4Runners but not Toyotas

Hello ive wanted a 4runner for some time now, im one of the guys who belives that anything any car company has done Toyota has done first or better. So far ive stuck with Toyota performance cars, Ive owned more celicas than id like to recall, 6 supras, 2 Mr2's, and even an all-trac for a whole week. And now with my business i need something that i can haul parts around in and tow trailers around with. Naturally i looked at two trucks, the Land Cruiser and the 4runner. The landcruiser does everything i need it to do, cept get 10mpg, that wont work. So the 4runner it is. Dont think that im settling for the 4runner, because im not like i said ive wanted a 4runner for going on 10years now.

Just a little background so you guys all dont think im some clueless newb. Im not new to toyotas, i currently own a 1990 White package Turbo Targa Supra, i did a 1jz-gte swap, also swapped in a full grey leather int, plus added a few extras, at the moment shes dyno'd 368rwhp and has run a 12.6@113mph on street tires not DragRadials and on the stock turbos. www.supraracerturbo.4t.com is my website for her, i literally built her from nothing. I do all my own work on my cars, including alignments. Before this i had a 86.5 Non turbo Supra that i built up and managed to run into the 14's with all motor(not an easy task if you dont know supras) I like to tinker, and modify toyotas factory look to update and improve the lines of the car. I am basically writing this book because i think first impressions are important and i want you to know what ive done with other toyotas.....plus im cocky and like to show off my cars, not that there is anything wrong with that.

Anyway this is my first suv/truck, and im currently in the market for a 90-95 4runner. I have a hot lead on a 92 silver Sr5, 160K Auto with leather, factory cdplayer, sunroof, etc and in excellant condition, for $1500 so naturally im jumping on this. It has rust in all the normal places for a 4runner but nothing i cant handle, and i cant seem to find any 4runners with a bad 4wd system, so i take that as they are bulletproof? Is there anything else i should look for when im looking over the truck? any problem areas, besides the HG issues?

If you took the time to read allt hat i thank you, and hope you all will have the patience to help me through becoming a 4runner owner. Thanks

~Ryan

Old 01-15-2007, 05:59 PM
Default RE: New to 4Runners but not Toyotas

Welcome! If you ever have a question on your 4Runner just ask me. I get really cocky when it comes to any Toyota too. I also do all my own work because most of the vehicles I have owned were illeagal somehow and I don't like people knowing what I'm running. I'm about to start a build on my 89 4Runner that I'm pretty sure has never been done before. If you would like to know more PM me. Good luck getting the 4Runner.

Old 01-15-2007, 06:34 PM

cool thanks, i will thanks for the reply. i was starting to think everyone was going to ignore me. lol

Old 01-16-2007, 05:19 PM

Ignore....naaaaah, I just don't know enough about the 4Runners to comment or give you good advice, but I am eager to learn myself.

I just dropped mine off at the dealer to get the scratches fixed. They gave me Corolla as a loaner...man this thing is tiny!

Anyways...WELCOME!

Old 01-16-2007, 08:47 PM

Well, the AT's have a chaindriven transfer case as opposed to the gear driven ones on the MT.

Also, within the AT, the valve guide body (or something like that) is very sensitive. Just a little bit loose and you get severe judder upon inital takeoff. I never trust anyone but a AAMCO shop to touch the AT, even for routine servicing.

My flex plate cracked at 185K, by the way.

Old 01-17-2007, 03:37 AM

so from the sound of it, the MT is the bulletproof one, and the AT is just finiky. ok if you dont abuse it? right?

Old 01-18-2007, 04:10 PM

I guess I missed that question lol. My 89s AT is the biggest piece. It shifts rough, down shifts late,and it doesnt put the power down when I need it. My transfer case is broken too. I haven't pulled it to look at it yet but when I put it in 4WD it catches sometimes and then releases. I think I have a stripped gear but I've never heard of anything like that before.

My parents had a MT that would drive through anything. They broke a driveshaft twice but nothing ever happened to the transmission or the transfer case.

Old 01-20-2007, 04:40 AM

Katsu: I'd imagine running that mondo tire/wheel combo you have contributed to the short life span of your tranny. I doubt its built to thosespecs.

AAMCO guy calls the 4Runner AT a million mile tranny. Only problem I've had with mine is after sloppy maintenance work. However, if you dump it in Reverse and floor ti, it will pop out of gear. Just gotta be gentle. Also, it is very sensitive to low fluid level. The PO abused the snot out of the original tranny, methinks. Iended up having to replace it a month after I bought the truck. Fortunately, when I bought it used from a Toyota dealer, I also got the optional powertrain warranty. Woo Hoo!