General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Toyota 4Runner Frame Recall Campaign

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2015, 11:25 AM
Default Toyota 4Runner Frame Recall Campaign

Hi, My name is Dave, I am new to this forum....just joined today. I am a 4Runner owner and fan myself. I've owned 3 so far. Just wanted to make everyone aware, that I too have been plagued by the notorious rust issues that has been found on the 3RD Gen 4Runners. I created a community page on Facebook, hopefully to try and aid us 3RD Gen 4Runner owners who still love their vehicles, but the frame is rotting before our eyes. Like I said, I've owned a few and can't count how many patched welds I have performed. It's tiring to keep up with. Ultimately, it's unsafe and Toyota Motor Sales needs to address the issue.
I am pleased to try and help the 3RD Generation Toyota 4Runner owners, including myself to obtain resolution to this problem. Would you be so kind as to share this with your community and network? Toyota Motor Sales has been made ware of this unsafe ongoing issue and are hoping that it ultimately just goes away.
I have very recently notified up to 16 key executives at Toyota personally as well as 12 key employees at the NHTSA, DOT, and EPA. I will let you all know what the outcome is when I receive a response.
In the mean time, please visit the links I have provided below. I have short-linked our Facebook Community Page as well as the link to the NHTSA "File a Complaint" form. Please like and share the Facebook page and take the 3-5 minutes to fill out a NHTSA form. http://bit.ly/Facebook_4Runner_Frame_Recall
http://bit.ly/NHTSA_Safety_Complaint_Form
Let's proactively pursue resolution to this issue.
Thank you very much.

Old 07-02-2016, 07:19 PM
Default Too late for me

This post more or less mirrors my own history with 4runners.
I owned a 91, followed by a 96, 01 and finally an 02.
The 01 suffered from a rotted out rear axle / differential which was costly to repair, so I didn't.
But the 2002 Ltd was the last straw. After driving on a bumpy road (but no potholes), I got onto the highway and at about 50mph / 90 kmph the vehcile was very unstable. The rear end had a mind of its own.
Long story made short, I had it towed after the tow truck driver examined it and showed me the cracked frame at the left rear where a bracket is welded to the actual frame. This connects a strut or something which stabilizes the rear axle. I hate to think what could have happened had it happened at a higher speed. I could have rolled the truck.
So after these last two 3rd Gen Runners I have bid farewell to 4Runners.
May I say that this forum has been very helpful over the years, although I was never able to solve the hesitation issue when trying to proceed, generally in a left turn, which alone was a scarey experience....
Anyway, enough is or was enough.
Thanks.