General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

> New to forum but not to Toys....Any help needed.

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 05:32 AM
Default > New to forum but not to Toys....Any help needed.

89 runner 4wD 3vZ sr5 w A/T A/C

pre-incedent info:
personally changed timing belt and water pump, etc...6 months previous...ran great except a little "loping" sound.

A/C never worked great...had a local Goodyear place charge the R-12 and it worked for about a year...obviously it was leaking....

Was ready to switch to 134 and bought a cheap kit but got busy working and had a diff place inspect A/C...they did nothing and showed me the leaking hoses and charged me 168 bucks.

Incident........

The light on my A/C switch was out and I left the compressor on ...drove 300 miles in one day....

coming off an exit ramp in NorCal...the truck just died...felt like no gas...starter turned over great.

First Inspection:

The A/C compressor had frozen (the shop warned me of this...but not worth 168 bucks) and the belt broke...I found large pieces of the belt under the hood.

Had it towed from north bay to my house in Sac...not cheap....

Home inspection:

Verified stuff:
ignition
spark
top dead center
(to verify that the timing belt didnt break or slip)
fuel flow
(but have not verified flow capacity)

I noticed with the test jumper on the fuse block on Fp and + B was not engaging the fuel pump...i couldnt hear it running....

I "peeled" the window from the Air Flow Meter, and saw something wrong, removed the window and the connector...it was all fried...the connectors on the meter were shot....

I got a used meter from a local Toy shop in Sac and installed it properly....

The Fuel Pump now spun up when the ignition was ingaged...at the ON position....

In total I replaced:

Air Flow Meter
EFI Main Relay
Circuit Opening Relay
tested fuel delivery but not pressure
getting spark, and getting it correctly...dont think the timing belt moved.
NO a/c belt
All other fuses fine

Current Conditions:

Cranks over fine.
never really "catches" but sounds like it wants to.

The Toy shop manual lists the current error code as: code 51
which it lists as quote""

Diagnosis:
"Air conditioner switch ON, neutral start switch OFF, idle switch OFF during diagnosis"

Trouble Area:
"A/C switch circuit, A/C switch, A/C Amplifire, Throttle Position Sensor Circuit, Throttle Position sensor, ECU"

okay...there are two other things ....

>>>I have a Viper alarm 550ESP....it is totally integrated into the ignition and starting flow...I have the install manual but it is of little help....the one thing i noticed over and over is that if the ignition kill or remote start feature was onvolved...the owner manual and install manual both state that the starter would not crank...which it does.

>>> The gas gauge / fuel gauge doesn't move....not right...weird....please correct me but i thought most vehicles made after 19xx ish do the same thing....the gauge will read dead with no current and then read correct with the ignition on....mine reads 1/3 tank AT ALL Times.....with or without the key in ON position...it never did this before....it was always in the Empty position when no in the ON pos...

My guesses:
(in order of my guesses maybe being correct)

ECU
Neutral Start Swith
Throttle Pos Sensor
Alarm
"Valet" Switch for alarm
Fuel pump pressure
other

If anyone can help that would make my year....this year and last year...!!!!