General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Serious Drivetrain problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2006, 01:09 AM
Default Serious Drivetrain problem

I have a serious problem with my 92 4Runner. I goosed it and got a terrible reponse from my drivetrain. I have a 92 4X4 5 speed that has been a great truck until this has happened. Here is the problem I put the truck in gear let the clutch out give it slight power and it goes ok but if it has any real pressure on the drivetrain I get serious bucking and gear grind sounds. My mechanic friends determined it was a clutch problem. I have pulled the tranny and clutch. Everything looks to be about normal as far a wear on all the clutch parts. The plate has some glazing but no excessive wear, the release bearing looks to be okay not destroyed, the pressure plate has some wear on the fingers and all the springs seem to be intact. I have ran the tranny through all the gears and see no real problem with it. I have purchased all new clutch parts to include the flywheel which had some scoring but not excessive. Could have had it surfaced but a new one was about the same price. I am starting to think that I have a problem in the rear diff. Has anyone had a similar problem?

Does anyone have the torque settings for the flywheel? Haynes manual is lacking in this. I have to put it back together tomorrow as I have access to a trailer and a lift so it will make life alot easier to put this back together. My driveway was a real pain to get the thing out.