Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

T-belt off one notch or cog.

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2006, 12:55 PM
Default T-belt off one notch or cog.

I have a 93v6, 4x4, 4runner the head gasket and t-belts were changed about a year ago and the car never seem to be the same. I don't drive it all the time but it just seems powerless and is getting about 200/mpt. It’s an auto, 31inch tires with 488 gears. The tranny was just rebuilt.

I checked the timing and it was 18 BTDC. So I jumped the box two wires and re adjusted the timing to 10 btdc. The dist. was almost full counter clock wise which seemed weird. The car is much less responsive after the timing adjustment.

My question is, is there a way to check to make sure the cam are in the correct position (the t-belt is not off a notch) when the crank is set on TDC? And I also need to check the dist rotor position making sure it's firing on #1. If the belt was off one notch on one or both cam cogs, would the car sill start and run?

Old 03-09-2006, 07:43 PM
Default RE: T-belt off one notch or cog.

Did you do the repair or was it done by a certified mechanic? I'm not trying to throw stones because I don't know your mechanical ability, but I have been a certified licensed aircraft mechanic and automotive mechanic for over 30 years and was very surprised when I went to have my timing belts changed at Toyota at how many inspection points the mechanic checked during disassembly and assembly. I thought it would be just like an old chevy or ford but it wasn't. I do know if you are off a tooth you will have performance issues. I also know one of the first issues a mechanic will want to address will be what the initial cause for the head gasket change was, because the cause and affect of the initial problem has to be satisfied to be sure all anomallies are corrected.